V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends!

Well I just wanted to share my experience with the new EFI Cobra auto tuner with you all in case anyone is interested in buying one. My setup: 2011 Fat Boy Lo, V&H twin slash slip-ons, Big city thunder quiet baffles(modified to fit the slip-on's)(bought them for the V&H Big shot staggered in case I buy these in the future and welded reducers to the BCT quiet baffles), also installed a Ness Big sucker, yes I cracked the first back-plate, but Marco at Ness provided outstanding customer service and sent me a free replacement, under warranty, two thumbs up for Marco at Ness!! Finally I installed the cobra auto tuner unit, this took about 45min, on the softail the hardest part I found was installing the 02 sensor connector behind the oil tank, not the connector itself but the clip that holds it into place behind there. I guess I could have added another cable tie, but I got it in place eventually. I also want to tell you all, I don't have another tuner to compare to, as this is my first HD and tuner(not first street bike). Now, everything installed, I fired it up and immediately noticed the sound was deeper/more full, I was running a little lean for a while with only the above mentioned slip-ons only until my 1000mile inspection, which is when I installed the Ness BS and Cobra Auto-Tune, so the sound was different. I did what they say, to teach the unit, where you take her for a ride, a little harder through the rpm/gears range a couple of times so the unit learns your bike?and voila, no back firing which was what I had a lot before IMO, even before the Ness Big Sucker was installed, and the bike runs great. I am sold on this unit, now keep in mind I have not put it on a dyno and also not looking for numbers like that, all I was looking for is a unit to auto tune based on riding conditions, temperature, modifications..etc It could very well be running within +/- 5% of a perfect tune or better but I wouldn't know or care. She pulls much, MUCH harder, sounds better, feels to be running cooler, and seems to have increased my MPG/ KM here in Canada..EH!!!..Lol So Basically I got what I was looking for. They say that you could add and modify and the unit will adjust, WELL because of my AC back-plate crack(rode with it cracked a couple of times but didn't want to risk debris getting into the engine), I had to go back to the stock AC, but kept the tuner and of course the slip-on's, on, ran like a champ, "no backfiring or popping", good deep full sound, and no tweaking of maps to deal with. I like it! now when I get the back-plate I will reinstall it and the larger air filter, and this unit will adjust to it. Pretty awesome in my book, hopefully it will stand the test of time, Cobra has a pretty solid Rep so I took the plunge. I hope this review helps any of you Guys/Gals out thinking of buying this unit or anything with an auto-tune (Auto-tune Def the way to go whether Cobra or??). Hope you all have a Happy Day!! See ya Eh!!

D

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
I had a FI2000 manual tuner on my 95 inch build and it was a breeze to tune and made dang near the same numbers as the TTS and dyno tune,but I went tts because the guy @ Cobra said the FI2000 was only good to 100hp and it wouldn't have been enough for my current build.
Best tuner for the money in my opinion for a guy that wants a mild 95 or just adding cams,air cleaner,ect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Failed right out of the box

I bought one of these for my 05 Road King. What a cheap piece of sh%*. It failed right out of the box. I had to pay shipping to them and have been getting the runaround ever since. Very disappointed in their return policy, products and warranty. I will repost if I ever get it back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love it, too!

Looks like there are only 2-3 of us that like it of those who've tried it. I've had really good luck with it myself (knock on wood). My bike's a 2011 Fatboy with stage 1 air cleaner and V & H Big Shots w/"Q" Baffles. Lots of low end torque, excellent throttle responsiveness. I'd run the Powercommander with not much satisfaction. Jamie even gave me a map. The engine really came alive with this thing!! I couldn't be happier, to be honest. I was considering upgrading the cams, now I'm not sure... In short, I'm completely satisfied!

Den

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Mine runs great except for one small issue which the Cobra programmer wants to talk to me about when I can get together swith my mechanic who installed it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I installed a Fi2000AT on my 2011 VRod Muscle about four months ago and love it. ThE VRods are set up extremely lean from the factory and the bike ran like crap in the stock configuration. Thirty minute install and she runs like a scalded cat. I would recommend this tuner to anyone that has no desire to be bothered with maps, and dynos with every change made to the bike. It is truly plug and ride, no fiddling and fussing with it. Ill be getting the R model for my 01 Deuce shortly as it does not have o2 sensors. I'll report back after I get it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Mine was a disaster on a 09 Ultra. After three units it was removed and replaced with a PCV and the autotune. Runs great now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nothing but problems.

I installed the FI2000 on my 07 Road King. Bike runs fine except at cruising speed. ( 60 - 65 mph ) Hesitates and coughs. I call
ed customer service and didn't get any help. What a bunch of jerks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
**UPDATE**

I had my Fi2000 up to early May. It ran great, but stopped working out of a clear blue sky. I ended up having to return it. It was replaced with a Powervision. I was actually disappointed, it worked well when it worked... On the flip-side, it runs even better with the powervision & a dyno-tune.

Den

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cobra FI2000

Cobra FI2000 bought from Dennis Kirk Sept. 2012, loved it. Now it is dead!!! 2007 Heritage Softail. 2 months of joy. Waiting on response from Cobra. Lights flash and then all lights go out. Checked all connections and seem to be connected. Guess I will spend Thanksgiving taking it off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fi2000 Power Pro on my new Fatboy

Installed Fi2000 Power Pro unit on my new 2013 Fatboy. Had problems with 'engine light' coming on and staying on. Cobra Tech (Phil) - actually, he advised, he is the head technician for Total Fuel Systems, they are the folks who actually manufacture the Power Pro and sell it through Cobra, because Cobra has name identity with bike accessories. They are based in Nevada. I used phone number 702-528-3495 to reach him at his office.

Phil stated the Fi2000 was originally designed to be used without oxygen sensors, but Cobra required them, if they were to market the unit, so they added the sensors.

He advised I should disconnect the Power Pro sensors and run just the Harley sensors, and that the Power Pro would work fine without them.

It's now been a couple of weeks, and about a hundred miles riding. I seem to have some 'surging' while accelerating through the gears. Not sure how this issue is going to be finally resolved?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello

I have a cobra Fi2000R on my harley FLHTCI 2006, I have an Arlen Ness big sucker and V & H mufflers .... I wonder what is the proper adjustment of the fi2000r for me?

thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought the unit for my 2011 heritage, but I cannot get to the injectors to install it. I propped up the fuel tank like the instructions said, but there is no way you can get to them. How did you get yours installed? Did you remove the tank?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just bought the unit for my 2011 heritage, but I cannot get to the injectors to install it. I propped up the fuel tank like the instructions said, but there is no way you can get to them. How did you get yours installed? Did you remove the tank?
I had the same problem with my 2013 Fatboy......finally just took the tank off.

At any rate, now the tank has come off a second time - this time to disconnect the power pro. Never worked for me, despite having Cobra send me a new circuit board. Don't know why. Had one on a Yamaha last year and it worked well. Just wouldn't work on the fatboy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I had a feeling. Been reading reviews about the unit and there have been many complaints about the same thing. For some reason, it just will not work. I am thinking of sending it back and just getting it dyno'd. If I waste my time removing the tank and it doesn't work, I will be pissed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I installed the "Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro" EFI controller on my 103" build 2005 Ultra Classic about a year ago. It connected right-up to my stock Delphi EFI module and injectors. My bike started right-up and runs great! Acceleration is much quicker and cruise is equally awesome! The best part is the bike's faster acceleration!

It has given me NO PROBLEMS at all and idles/runs great!

My model Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro is a model that does not have any O2 sensor inputs. I recommend this EFI controller to anyone who doesn't want to futz with map$/dyno$/time, et al. I am very happy with my application.

My bike is a 2005 Ultra Classic:
103 c.i. build with 0.625" lift gear-driven cams, Stock throttle body/injectors, Baker 6-speed tranny, V&H True-Dual exhaust headers with Cobra Tri-Oval slip-on mufflers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts