V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope to be starting a 98" build soon. Would I be better off with the HD. factory service manual or is the Clymer just as good. TIA, Chuck.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I vote for the factory manual as well. Late model factory manuals are very good at spelling out all procedures so that someone with limited experience (or little experience, have you seen some of the kids working at dealers lately) can confidently perform repairs or service.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
F-a-c-t-o-r-y

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I don't have Clymer or Hanes for bike, but I have had them for trucks. There ok, but they do assume some stuff. HD manual is written damn near for idiots. Hmm, are they making assumptions...

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.. Any suggestions on where the best place is to buy one? I bet the HD shop is not the cheapest place to buy one.. Chuck

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Chuck K. said:
Thanks for all the replies.. Any suggestions on where the best place is to buy one? I bet the HD shop is not the cheapest place to buy one.. Chuck
Do a Google search and get one on-line. Or you may be able to find one on Ebay. Either way it'll be cheaper than the dealer - still not cheap though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know the Haynes manual that I have is missing a few things like torque values. The after market manuals may be good for basic stuff, but for major work like r&r-ing the top end (my big bore kit) I should've gotten the factory manual. And from what I've seen in my searc for one outside of a dealer, it's not worth saving the extra $5 to hunt for one from somewhere other than the Harley shop.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I have a Haynes Manual that I purchased online and it was great for routine maintenance, but once I really got into doing a big project I needed the manual. Get the Factory Manual Hands down. It is great, easy to read, and good step by step details.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Get the genuine Harley-Davidson Shop Manual specific for your year and model bike. The Parts Manual for your bike is also very useful.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Ya I didn't get parts manual, didn't think I needed it. But there are times it would have come in usefel. Other companys give that out free. Got pdf for my sled. Don't know why HD doesn't, oh wait, follow the money.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
84FXRP said:
Get the genuine Harley-Davidson Shop Manual specific for your year and model bike. The Parts Manual for your bike is also very useful.

Don't forget the electrical troubleshooting manual in case there is a separate one for your machine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.