V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what kind of mess it would be to use a 41 and later clutch setup on a 39 trans?

Any length problems as far as the parts sliding onto the mainshaft, or diameter differences?

The old parts are getting pretty scarce so I figured a retrofit might be in order.

I can get a pretty good deal on a complete setup from a 46, both are 4 speeds.

Thanks.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Maxim30cal said:
Can anyone tell me what kind of mess it would be to use a 41 and later clutch setup on a 39 trans?

Any length problems as far as the parts sliding onto the mainshaft, or diameter differences?

The old parts are getting pretty scarce so I figured a retrofit might be in order.

I can get a pretty good deal on a complete setup from a 46, both are 4 speeds.

Thanks.
If you could get the entire '46 transmission and clutch, I believe there is a good chance that it would fit in a 1939 frame. As far as I know, the 41 and later clutch was used up to 1984 but will not fit 1936-1939 due to the different transmission mainshaft and nut.

The 1941 clutch hub is also wider and I'm fairly certain that you would have to use the 1941 and later diamond sheet metal covers.

The 1941-1946 tranmsission cover would be fine with your 1939 shift pattern with forward for low. in 1947 and later, as I'm sure you know, they went modern and changed the direction of the shift lever on the transmission so that low gear was back and the other three gears were forward.

1936-1939 parts are so scarce that they don't last long on eBay.

Good luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
36-64 mainshafts are the same. The only change was in 1950 when they went to a single key on the starter clutch versus a double key on the early models. All you need is the complete clutch. Clutch pushrod in '39 to '64 so you should be OK there. It should be 13 1/4" long. Primary cover is '37 to '54 so that works too. I did this on a '39 ULH a few years ago and do not recall having any problems.

Hiram Maxim was a genius.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D.Ed said:
36-64 mainshafts are the same. The only change was in 1950 when they went to a single key on the starter clutch versus a double key on the early models. All you need is the complete clutch. Clutch pushrod in '39 to '64 so you should be OK there. It should be 13 1/4" long. Primary cover is '37 to '54 so that works too. I did this on a '39 ULH a few years ago and do not recall having any problems.

Hiram Maxim was a genius.
Thanks for the info, and Yes he was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts