V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...I have adjusted the clutch like 4 times...All slack out of adjustment...Let the allen in the clutch pack bottom out..roll back 1/2...then went to 3/4 the next time...then went 1/4 the next time...tried the method of holding the clutch in and rolling it in until it just lifts off the bar.....it is adjsted correctly, but as i ride the clutch lever gets more play and then a little farther down the rode it will be really tight..no play.....it continues to pull in all gears even with the clutch pulled...any ideas? thanks in advance....1995 road king........

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
I assume you are not running anything crazy for primary fluid and it is at the correct level?

Otherwise, have you been hard on the clutch?

rkc

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch

running forumula +.... havent been to rough on it....was over filled the last timeit was serviced....but i drained and put in correct amount...

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I would look at the ramp and balls.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
clutch

ramp was supposedly changed at the dealer in april...Invoice shows it, but gonna pul off and look this evening......

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Before you adjust the clutch, are you loostening the cable adjustment totally so that there is a lot of slack in the cable? Be sure you do that before adjusting the clutch...then after you've adjusted the clutch take up the slack in the cable again until you have just a small amount of freeplay in the lever.

I've had your situation before too...sucks when you're engine is hot and you're trying to get it into neutral...keeps going back and forth between 1st and 2nd...skipping neutral...unless you shut the danged thing off.

·
Registered
568 Posts
How much cable free play are you setting? Any chance of the cable housing on either end bumping out of its ferrule and catching on a shoulder, thus removing all the free play?

By "clutch dragging", do you mean the bike is hard to move in gear with the engine off and clutch pulled in? Or, does the bike want to move even with the clutch pulled in while in gear? Or, is this a matter of the free play changing, for a yet to be determined reason, and it is just hard to find neutral? With nothing actually wrong, how easy neutral is to get can be related to certain transmission lubes. Spectro 6 speed and Red Line Heavy Shockproof 75-140 seem to make neutral the easiest to get consistently. Other lubes seem to provide slightly notchier shifting and popping right past neutral in either direction when you are trying for it.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
running forumula +.... havent been to rough on it....was over filled the last timeit was serviced....but i drained and put in correct amount...
Overfilling is not a problem. For the last 60k miles i routinely put in an extra 8 oz, i fill it till it runs out the derby hole with it on the side stand. I do a lot of rodeo riding and friction zone practice and since i started doing this I have much less clutch issues. Many motorcops do this to help cool and lubricate the clutch plates. Also I have tried many oils and have best luck with formula +. Let us know what you find is the problem. Stay safe.:coffee:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts