V-Twin Forum banner

clutch spring R&R

797 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Milehog 
#1 ·
Can a fella replace the clutch spring through the derby cover or are you better off pulling the primary cover to accomplish this? :hmmm:

#2 ·
Pull the cover. It may be possible without, but it's trivial to do and I can't think of a single good reason to do keyhole surgery here. Give yourself the space.

On the other hand, if your dealer is telling you it is necessary to remove outer cover, inner cover, seat, front wheel and gearbox, then please disregard the above :woohoo:

#3 ·
I don't know about all models, but on an '04 Softail, ya gotta pull the outer primary cover. The spring will not fit through the derby hole. Just close enough to drive ya nuts tryin'. It ain't a major problem, even takin' off the cover.

#4 ·
It is possible on a TC touring bike, as I have done it before. However i do not recomend doing it as it very tight and a hammer is needed with the s/e spring. The o.e. one comes out rather easily though. Now when i do them i take my time, take the cover off, inspect the clutch, chain adjustment, and the comp nut. Then put it all back together with a new gasket. Now you have the confidence to know it is done correctly.....hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.