V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of building a Softail v twin engine this winter. I’m expecting 100 hp and 110-114 torque. I’m running a stock transmission (2005) 5 speed. Should I plan on a heavier clutch spring? Will I have slipping issues ?

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
Seeing as its 15 years old, replace the linings and and check it real close for wear on the bearings and hard parts. Then install a 37871-98A spring. Skip the easy pull kit as it limits pressure plate lift at full pull.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seeing as its 15 years old, replace the linings and and check it real close for wear on the bearings and hard parts. Then install a 37871-98A spring. Skip the easy pull kit as it limits pressure plate lift at full pull.

Thanks, looks like a 330 lbs spring compared to 300 lbs stock. Only 12,000 miles, bought it used last summer. Poor thing never got any miles on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered an 37871-98A it arrived yesterday. I did some measurements and the metal thickness is the same as the one I removed. On a flat surface it is about .040 taller. The fingers stick up just a bit taller in the center. Both measure .060 thick. The one I removed has a yellow dot and a yellow rectangle. The new one has no marking paint. The new one came with no bag so just want to make sure before I install. I thighs the 37871-98A would be made of thicker metal? Any help would be appreciated before I install.

·
Super Moderator
20,828 Posts
I ordered an 37871-98A it arrived yesterday. I did some measurements and the metal thickness is the same as the one I removed. On a flat surface it is about .040 taller. The fingers stick up just a bit taller in the center. Both measure .060 thick. The one I removed has a yellow dot and a yellow rectangle. The new one has no marking paint. The new one came with no bag so just want to make sure before I install. I thighs the 37871-98A would be made of thicker metal? Any help would be appreciated before I install.
The 37871-98a does not have a color dab on it. But it should have been in a numbered parts bag. That spring is 320 pounds/inch. The other unpainted spring is the SE with 380 pounds/inch. The SE spring is thicker than the other production springs, so you should be fine. You can check the spring rate with a valve spring tester and a big flat washer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts