V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first. let me introduce myself. im tim and my scoot is a 2005, 1200 sporty custom. i just put on a set of samson big gun 3's and im totally impressed with the sound and performance. engine is pretty much stock, other than SE high flow air breather, thungers slide, and went from .170 main jett to to .190,(i didnt have a .185) a tad rich but she performs well and pulls hard in all throttle positions. i would recommend these pipes to anyone. NOTE: i went with the street sweepers, so i would tell anyone who goes with this setup to make sure they have plenty of ground clearance for the bottom pipe. i just barely scratched my new pipes already on a sharp right turn.yea it really @#$%%$$#@ me off!
ok to my question. i changed my primary oil at 6000 miles. i used HD sporttran. i drained the 1 quart and put 1 quart back in. now ,when i get on the bike pretty hard the clutch seems to feel like its loosing pressure when i pull the clutch lever. when i let up on the throttle and "pump" the lever a little it goes back to normal. it only does it when im throttling on it hard. please dont tell me i need clutch work. its still under warranty but i dont trust the stealerships. i would appreciate any info on this question. im a pretty decent wrench,but im pretty illiterate on cycle clutches as i have never delved into them. thanks for any input

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im glad to be here. thanks for the welcome. i enjoy this forum. no i havnt tried adjusting the clutch per hd manual. i will break out the manual and see what i can find out. ill get back to ya with results. again, thanks for the input. this is a very cool place to be with/for scoot info. later.........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clutch

ok, i looked up clutch adjustment in the manual. it says to see the dealer. i asked around a bit today and i was told i put too much sporttran in the primary case. i filled it to the bottom of the clutch spring like the the manual directed, but the manual didnt say weather to have the bike leaning or straight up to check the level. here is what i am wondering... is the bike supposed to be leaning or straight up when checking the level. i beleive i kept leaning the bike up and checking as i was putting the sporttran in. i called the dealer and they said its not a warrenty fix,(its a maintainance issue) and i have to pay to get the clutch adjusted if thats what it needs. im sure i can adjust it myself if i was directed how. like i said im a pretty good wrench,just a dummy in the "wet" clutch department. thanks for any input on this issue.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
sixstring said:
ok, i looked up clutch adjustment in the manual. it says to see the dealer. ....

The clutch adjustment procedure is on page 1-30 of the 2005 Sportster Harley-Davidson Service Manual. Bike should be upright when checking level on clutch (page 1-33).

Or are you looking at the Owner's Manual?

If you're going to work on your bike, you'll need the Genuine Harley-Davidson Service Manual for you particular year and model bike. The HD Parts Manual for 2005 Sportsters will also prove useful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i guess i need to pick up a service manual. thats a big DUUUUHH on my part! i never even thought about that. im presenntly using the owners manual. i consideried buying a service manual when i bought the bike, but figured i would wait untill the warrenty ran out first. i have changed my mind. i will also check out the parts manual as well. i will check the level again while i have the inspection cover off to to make any clutch adjustment. thanks for your help 84FX. i appreciate you taking the time to look up the info you gave me. i will post my results. ......... oh yea!!! the season is almost here!! later.............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts