V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, thanks to all who provided tips on stopping my oil leak from the derby cover. After installing the paper gasket...no more leak. That leads to my next question. The other day, after about a 100 mile ride, I started to get oil coming out the clutch cable up at the clutch lever. Not just a little, a lot. Enough to spray my pants while going down the highway. It started after a prolonged stay in traffic moving very slowly, more or less walking along with the clutch pulled in. Anyone else ever have this happen and if so, what's the fix?

Thanks a bunch
Keith

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Never had that to happen. You sure the transmission vent hose is not kinked?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
The vent line comes out of the top cover on the side of the transmission where the shifter is. Check to see if it is kinked or clogged.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked vent

Just checked the vent hose. No clogs or kinks but it is routed up towards to oil tank. Is that ok, or should it be pointed down?

Keith

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I have a 99 model, so I'm not sure how yours should go. My vent hose sort of goes up at a 45 degree angle towards the back of the bike, then at the turns back and points down. The hose is sort of shaped like a J. Here is a pic of one that I found on Ebay that will suffice. This one looks like it is capped off on the end. Yours should look simular but not capped.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I'll have to look at my parts manual when I get home and see what else is in there. Ya got me baffled now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks exactly like the picture. To tell you the truth, this one has everyone baffled. No one I have talked to has ever heard of a leak from the clutch cable. I figured someone on here would be able to help. It's almost like the cable itself is saturated with oil. When I squeeze the lever, you can see the oil seep from the strands of the cable. Wierdest thing is it came on all of a sudden, during the long time in dead-stopped traffic.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Just looked at the parts manual. Wanted to verify that there wasn't a checkball in the fitting that goes to the top cover. Yep, that is weird. Have you pulled off the hose and made sure there is no creature up in there, like a dirt dobber or spider that could have made a home in there? Typically there is oil in the cable, but only to the level of fluid in the tranny. If it's coming out at the top like that, then it should be coming out at the adjuster on the cable too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input. I'll pull off the vent and blow it out. There's no oil at the adjuster that I could see, just at the lever. Keep you all posted...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts