V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my first primary oil change last night and noticed after removing the Derby cover, that the clutch sits very low (off center) in relation to the hole in the case. Is this normal?
Bike runs fine it just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Betcha thought you were losing it, huh ? Did you find much metallic gunk on the drain plug? Just curious.

tbone

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah! Really didn't look right. This was the 5000 mi change & the plug had some gray sludge on it, no chips. Change over to Amsoil 75/90 gear lube. Smoothed out the shifting a little . Next change I'm planning on installing a M6.
Thanks for the the replys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I changed my primary oil and adjusted the chain the other day. Instead of pulling off the derby cover to add the oil, I had my son lean the bike to the right a little bit and poured the 32 ozs. of oil in through the primary chain adjusted access. Worked fine. I reused the gasket too. Is 75/90 the correct weight for primary oil? I was thinking that was for the transmission.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
75W/90 is transmission oil. Way to heavy for primary not to mention it's gear oil. Prrimary is somewhere around 10W30 or 10W40. I personally use ATF type F. Have been for years and works very well.

Kampnnut:

You actually hit on a good way of handling primary oil change. Once you remove the Derby cover the 1st time and check out exactly how much primary oil it takes, you only have to remove the insp cover from then on (assuming you don't need access to clutch adjuster, which shouldn't need to be done very often) and fill the primary from there. Primary chain needs to be checked anyway so it solves two problems and you don't have to mess with the Derby cover. By the way, use never-seize on the Derby cover and insp cover bolts. You will never have a problem with oxidation between the aluminum bolt holes and steel bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts