V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To most of you this may be an easy one but it is giving me fits. I have a 1979 Sportster, it is in very good condition and I have reworked the bike extensively, I have been riding it for two years other than the usual problems a bike of this production period brings it has functioned excellently. Up until this point I had no problems with the bike. As with so many Sportster models of the iron head period the starter loosened up and damaged the gear on the clutch shell since the bike had a kick starter I was told to get the clutch shell and kick start ratchet gear so that the kick starter ratchet plate and gear were also new it came to my attention that they are always to be replaced if you are doing this kind of repair (If you wish to avoid Sportster knee) . Now this is the point where I had my problems, I bought all appropriate tools from a supply house, changed the shell, and reassembled all other original parts. Than I followed the exact clutch adjustment procedures in the factory Harley book. When I started the bike and engaged the clutch I could not get it in or out of gear. So I repeated the process several times, than I experimented with the clutch adjusting screw to see if the clutch would disengage and it did. This left me to believe that the clutch cable free play was misadjusted so I redid that procedure may times to no avail. At this point I took the primary chain cover off and examined the release ramp and lever I saw no assembly problems. I also observed that it took about six mm to disengage the clutch and I thought when adjusted the clutch lever was giving that much throw. No matter what, I cannot get it to disengage what am I missing and why did it work fine before only the change of the clutch shell. My email address is [email protected] also pictures of the bike are on site.

Thank you for your time
Dene Rinaldo

1 - 1 of 1 Posts