V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there had problems with burnt up clutch. With just 725 miles my clutch was burnt up the dealer covered it under warranty, but is now trying to bill me because Harley turned down their warranty claim, stating that the clutch is a non warranty item? Come on with just 725 miles this is a joke I have been riding a 85 Gs1150E for ten years with no clutch problems at all. Any help wold be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
603 Posts
RVROD, that really seems strange. REAL STRANGE. Did H-D tell you that the clutch was a non-warranty item ? (BS). Has Your clutch been fixed ? Have you had any out of pocket expenses ? Do not pay anyone anything. What were your symptoms ? Can you give more specifics ?

JMS

·
Registered
450 Posts
RVROD

I agree with JMS. there are TONS of V-ROD riders that have been aggressively using thier clutches for about a year now. Other than the fact that the clutch is a "Wet" clutch and operates differently that the conventional Harley clutches I haven't heard of one problem except yours.

I am wondering if the bike was serviced properly in that the dealer set up technician MAY have not have detected that the fluid was low or non-existant. Its dot 5 fluid like the brakes. That would burn it up in VERY SHORT ORDER!!.

By the way, THERE IS NO ADJUSTMENT like the conventional HD clutches.

My assessment is that the factory didn't pay the dealer because the dealer should have caught the problem. NOT YOUR ISSUE!!

Regards.

V-ROD I FL

·
Registered
477 Posts
The VROD clutch is a wet bath type clutch, it is cooled and lubricated by engine oil. The tranny, clutch, and engine components all share the same lubricant. Dot 5 fluid is used in the master cylinder on bars, and the hydralic clutch actuator. Dot 5 fluid never contacts any part of the clutch itself. ALL HDs have been using a wet clutch in the last 20+ years, but the VROD uses a common lubricant for all major components, like the *** bikes. If master cylinder fluid level was very low, clutch would fail to properly disengage and you should detect this, difficult or impossible to put in first gear at rest, difficult gear changes.

RVROD, this is absolutely bull$hit to expect you to cover any cost of repair, unless you were really abusing your bike/clutch which I seriously doubt at 725 miles. I think HD or the dealer is trying to shake you down, see if you will pay. I wouldn't pay a damn penny, remind them you just paid $18000 for a new motorcycle with a factory warranty on defective components or assembly. Like I said before, HD's profits rule their business conduct these days...... Good luck brother.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Call harley customer service number and complain, squeeky wheel gets the grease.(414-343-4056) If that does not work sit in front of the dealer with a sign that says DON'T BUY HERE, ASK ME WHY that should change their attitude quick, I have tried both and gotten favorable results, Good luck..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good advice Thealien, I'm sure the sign gig would get some results.

·
Registered
265 Posts
RVROD: Please share more details on that clucth failure! Was it slipping for a while? Did it just up and slip? Did you get a chance to look at the old plates? Did they replace Fibers and Steals? Oil and filter change? Sorry about all the questions, I'm very curious about what happened! We have fixed lots of 1150's with clutch problems- no V-rods!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Oh it does, and I'm 6'2" and 260 pounds so hard to ask me to leave. It's also a constitutional right, freedom of speech, same laws that apply to picketing. Also call the attorney generals office, with all this going on the dealership will not want to piss you off!!!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks bros for all the support! Almost all the miles are 2 up as my wifes cute little butt fits quite nicely on that little thing they call a seat. To put it quite simply the bike seemed to be running fine, I pulled up to a stop sign when I went to take off the bike would not move you could kick it in and out of gear it just did not budge with the clutch out no matter how hard you revved it. The dealership covered everything under warranty at first then I got a call from the service manager asking for some help as Harley would not cover this under warranty per the owners manual. I called customer service and spoke to two people and got the same answer from both NOT COVERED!! No matter how much I bitched and complained it just fell on deaf ears. I don't want to piss off the dealer too much as they have been great up until they wanted some compensation for the possibly eating the labor and giving me a discount on the parts.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Well shame on Harley and sorry I would make him eat it, he has a better chance of getting something from the moco. On a couple of things it took a few calls to costomer service to get satisfaction. I personally would not pay, but you have to deal with them not me, do what you feel is right for you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
RVROD,

Absolutely rediculous for you to pay for that, what do you have a new motorcycle warranty for? What did you do or what was your negligence to cause such a failure? See, issues like this infuriate me. They, HD and your dealership have absolutely NO HONOR, none.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Clutches are usually considered a wear item and are usually not covered under warranty -- by any manufacturer. However, 725 miles is really low for a clutch to wear out. If you haven't been abusing the bike (prove it by showing a pristine rear tire, no clutch residue in the engine oil, etc.), ask if the district rep can step in and cover the clutch under "goodwill". For a failure to occur at 725 miles, it is either a manufacturer's defect or rider abuse.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
299 Posts
Having worked with automotive warranty for over 25 years I can tell you that nothing is black and white. No clutches are not covered, but when they inspect the clutch it is easy to determine what the failure of the clutch was. I have read numerous post about having to bleed clutch master cyls for air in the lines. Mine was no exception to this. If you can relate to them that the clutch failure may have been a secondary result of a different short coming then you may have a leg to stand on. Just a thought, if your clutch feels anything but perfect have them check it for air in the system. Expanding air from heat could easily result in pressure being applied to a point of releasing and burning a disc. Remember you want more then just a clutch, you want to make sure that 750 miles down the road your not doing this again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts