V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum I'm needing help with my 06 duce last summer I noticed my clutch is getting stiff I lubed up the cable that didnt seem to help it's a Barnett ss cable also I can't adjust it according to my shop manual if I finger tighten the adjustment screw and back it out 1/2 to 1 turn my clutch handle pulls the ramp to far and it un seats the ball bearings what do I check next thank you

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,387 Posts
Hi I'm new to the forum I'm needing help with my 06 duce last summer I noticed my clutch is getting stiff I lubed up the cable that didnt seem to help it's a Barnett ss cable also I can't adjust it according to my shop manual if I finger tighten the adjustment screw and back it out 1/2 to 1 turn my clutch handle pulls the ramp to far and it un seats the ball bearings what do I check next thank you
What does "getting stiff" mean?

Why can't you adjust your Barnett cable according to your shop manual? It works fine for me.

It sounds like you are not quite following the manual for clutch adjustment procedure.

Can you make sentences?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know what you mean by making sentences maybe reread what I posted if I follow the shop manual turn on the adjustment screw the one that takes an hex head till it's just barely touched then back it out 1/2 to 1 full turn then lock the nut will holding the nut with a wrench then adjust the slack out of the cable when I activate the clutch lever it pulls the arm to far or something to far and the ball bearings in the ramp dislodge and by to still I mean hard to pull requiring quite a bit of effort is that clear enough for you to fathom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did get it to work by not backing the adjusting screw out to much about an 1/8of a turn . I replaced the clutch lever last summer with an aftermarket lever I'm wondering if maybe the geometry of that one is a little different. I replaced the balls in the actuator last summer to as they were worn a little but it's still stiff as in kinda hard to pull

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I would start by putting your old lever back on and see what happens. Easy and quick.

G-man means ya gotta put a period at the end of your sentences. Which it looks like you have started to do.

·
not sober all the time
5,983 Posts
I don't know what you mean by making sentences.
Since you are new to the forum, I'll give you a little hint. When seeking help on this forum, or any other forum, make it as easy as possible for others to comprehend the issue. It's not about people being a grammar nazi, it's about better communication. Using sentences, proper spelling, etc. makes it easier for the reader to understand the problem. This enhances the chances for you to get more and better possible solutions.

This is making sentences....

I don't know what you mean by making sentences. Maybe reread what I posted. If I follow the shop manual, turn on the adjustment screw (the one that takes an hex head) till it's just barely touched,......

This is not

"Hi I'm new to the forum I'm needing help with my 06 duce last summer I noticed my clutch is getting stiff I lubed up the cable that didnt seem to help it's a Barnett ss cable also....

Welcome to the forum.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,387 Posts
How do you know the balls are dislodging from the ramps? Do you have the tranny cover off?

Is the cable binding? If you disconnect the cable from the actuator and try using the lever you can see if the stiffness is in the cable or not. Maybe you just need a new cable.

The clutch adjusting screw shouldn't have anything to do with the travel at the end of the clutch cable.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I had a very similar problem on a roadking. It was the new cable was about an inch or so shorter than the original. lonslo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have to pull the tranny cover when the bearings come out to reset the actuator arm and I'll have to buy a handle as mine broke but one
On the cable you maybe on to something on the length it's time to replace it anyway .thanks

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I have to pull the tranny cover when the bearings come out to reset the actuator arm and I'll have to buy a handle as mine broke but one
On the cable you maybe on to something on the length it's time to replace it anyway .thanks
I recently replaced my clutch cable on my 19K 06 fatboy while I was doing the tensioners.. I was surprised at the difference in how much smoother it is.... I used a stock harley cable...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its definitely worth a try it's about 5 yrs old I put it on when I went to 12 in apes plus 6 inch risers so the length of pull could be off .

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
There are 2 different lengths of free inner cable length,,, sounds like you have the short one, and need the long one..
When buying cables for apes,,, many only consider 5he cable housing length, you must also measure the length of the free cable,,,, unhook it from the lever and actuator,,, pull the inner cable snug against either end, then measure the cable...

Iirc the short one is fxr length, the long one is all others,,, or the other way around,,, drag specialties catalogs used to have the differences listed,,, jp and a couple other on line suppliers will sell you anything and tell you it will fit,,, other than this 1 detail they are essentially identical from 1987 forward

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did not know that thank you I think the dealer I bought it from was the one that tells you it will fit as they are no longer in business again thank you that's good info to know.paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok thanks again I replaced the cable made sure the throw was what its supposed to be and by God it's like a new clutch.,I never knew there was a difference. Signing off for now this making sentences is hard work I'm sure someone will complain about something else now .peace!

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Paul, don't feel bad,,, most pro mechanics, parts people and everyone at the on lone parts depot don't know either..
4he fxr series take the different length, as the cable enters the end cover at a different angle than all the rest..

Glad its fixed

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Ok thanks again I replaced the cable made sure the throw was what its supposed to be and by God it's like a new clutch.,I never knew there was a difference. Signing off for now this making sentences is hard work I'm sure someone will complain about something else now .peace!
Yeah Paul I understand on the sentences 🤣. I am having the same thing on a Streetglide I just bought your thread just gave me some things to check, thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you know the balls are dislodging from the ramps? Do you have the tranny cover off?

Is the cable binding? If you disconnect the cable from the actuator and try using the lever you can see if the stiffness is in the cable or not. Maybe you just need a new cable.

The clutch adjusting screw shouldn't have anything to do with the travel at the end of the clutch cable.
you must adjust the clutch cable that is located under an accordian looking cover part way down clutch cable in conjunction with backing off clutch screw

1 - 20 of 20 Posts