V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my Harley. I bought a 99 RKC this past fall. I have been reading alot of threads the past couple months but havent posted any yet. Well anyways, now i have a ? , thursday was 57,Dont get these kind of temps in Chicago in january, Rushed home from work put my gear on, started my bike,backed out of the garage, Tried pulling the clutch in to put into gear, frozen,stuck,WTF. I cant pull the clutch in. Do i need to intall a new cable or is the tranny screwed. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance Dennis,

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Is it that the lever will not move or that the lever moves and it does nothing to disenge the clutch.
If the lever moves and it does nothing, the cable is probably broken.
If the lever does not even move, which I think is what you ae describing, there are a few things that could be wrong, but I doubt it is the tranny.
1. You need the shop manual.
2. Cable could be frozen up, check the center cable adjustment. Loosen it up all the way and see if the cable slides in the jacket.
3. Lever could be hanging on something but I have no idea on what. See if it it moves with the cable loosened up all the way.
4. Could be a stuck ball ramp in the right side of the tranny but I have never heard of this either.
I think the cable is the most likely the cause.

G

·
This comes up from time to time. Typically the one end of the clutch release push rod hangs up. If you run through a clutch adjustment step-by-step, it will usually clear up.

First, the bike must be cool when you do the clutch adjustment.

1) Slide the rubber boot off the adjustment nut assembly, in the clutch cable. Use a ½” and 9/16” wrench to loosen the jam nut back, then induce the maximum amount of slack.

2) Completely pull the clutch lever. Remove the “C” clip from the bottom of the clutch lever retaining pin, at the clutch lever, then slide the lever from the bracket, so it’s hanging by the cable.

3) Squirt Bike Aid lube into the cable just until it drips out of the jam nut assembly.

4) Remove the clutch inspection cover, loosening the screws in a “star” pattern. Use a sharpee pen, and mark the inside of the cover, to indicate which hole is the one that was on top. Always install the cover so that that hole is the top.

5) Loosen the 11/16” nut in the center of the clutch housing.

6) Using an allen wrench, loosen (counter-clockwise) the clutch adjuster screw, which is inside the 11/16” nut you just loosened.

7) This is the critical step. Gripping the shaft of your allen wrench with just your thumb and index finger turn it back (Clockwise) just until the point that you feel the least resistance. NO MORE!

8) From that point, loosen it back (Counter-clockwise) ½ turn to one full turn. Now that you’ve learned to use the clutch to control the motor, you should use ¾ turn. ½ turn is for “normal riders”, who use the clutch like an on/off switch. 1 turn is appropriate for a police bike in city traffic service.

9) Holding the allen wrench, so the screw stays in position, tighten the clutch adjustment nut. There is a torque value, but unless you have a crow’s foot, you can only tighten it so that it’s snug. If you are using an open-end wrench, take care not to let it slip off the nut, since you will be at an angle to the nut. If you do have a crow’s foot, it calls for 8 to 10 ft.lbs.

10) Replace the cover, making sure the gasket is good. Tighten the screws in a star pattern, to 50-70 inch pounds of torque.

11) Again add Bike aid to the cable, until it drips from the jam nut assembly.

12) Replace the lever in the bracket, being careful not to bend the black plastic anti-rattle shim. Install the “C” clip.

13) Tighten the cable at the jam nut assembly. Once it is roughly tightened, pull the clutch lever three times to seat the ball and ramp in the mechanism. Then tighten to the point that there is about 1/16” of free play at the lever. If you pull the cable housing out from the lever, the edge of a nickel should just fit between the shoulder of the cable, and the bracket.

Harris

G

·
You may also want to do this:

Remove the derby cover. Have someone pull on the lever with reasonable pulling force, while you strike the adjusting rod (the point where the Allen wrench goes) LIGHTLY with a wooden mallet, or with a hammer on a block of wood placed on the adjusting rod end. That may be all it takes.

Harris

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
stuck...

If you get to the point where the cable gets replaced, spend $20 and install a White Bros "easy pull"...and lube the new cable. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts