V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Heritage and I bought a set of chrome levers to install. The brake lever installed with no problem. The clutch lever installation by the shop manual tells me to remove the transmission cover (after I have loosened the exhaust) and disconnect the cable from this end. It is difficult to remove the clutch cable from the lever from up top though. Does anyone have any tips?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
If you are only doing the lever and not the cable you do not need to go into the tranny. Loosen the cable from the adjuster in the center of the cable. You'll need to pull back the rubber sleeve around it. Shorten the cable as much as it'll go, then take the clip off the bottom of the pin holding the clutch lever in. It'll all fall out in your hand...swap the lever and put it back together same way. then adjust the cable length to get the correct "freeplay". Tighten it up until you have a gap of a width of a nickel between the lever and the cable.
Then make sure that when you did the BRAKE lever, you didn't dislodge the switch that actuates the brake light. If the brake light works, then you're ok.They ask you to put a thin piece of cardboard in there to prevent this from happening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts