V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a list of what I would need to make my stock wet clutch primary into an open dry one still running a chain (not going to belt). Also if anyone has any comp clutch kit recommendations, that would be much appreciated

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
How do you plan on lubricating your dry chain?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Uhmm? The stock components, that came on the 82 models,,,, was a dry clutch assembly, with a vent system lube system for the chain and sprockets, as well as evacuation from the same housing... using the oem plumbing system...

Check out section 3 of the factory service manual, as well as the parts list from the parts manual

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you plan on lubricating your dry chain?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
[
Uhmm? The stock components, that came on the 82 models,,,, was a dry clutch assembly, with a vent system lube system for the chain and sprockets, as well as evacuation from the same housing... using the oem plumbing system...

Check out section 3 of the factory service manual, as well as the parts list from the parts manual
I’ll go check the manual again. I was under the same impression that was the case. But when I checked the inner primary I couldn’t find the hole and could not find any lines leaving the primary

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
The vent system is what you should look at... oil moves to the primary, and is extracted by the locations of the rotary vent valve in the cam chest.. there are 2 ports in the rear of the inner primary,, one near the middle of the primary, the other behind the clutch basket...

Many bikes, over the years, have had these systems altered significantly,, for whatever reason, by owners and non harley mechanic, mechanics..

There is no way I know of, to convert to dry, without negative consequences.. (money and parts failures).

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
You can't run a chain drive primary dry for very long. It will wear the sprockets like a rear drive chain, and those sprockets ain't cheap. Its also a smaller pitch chain, so the rollers and pins are going to wear out faster than a 50 chain.

Past that, why would you want a dry primary?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I suspect I know the answer, why would you want an open primary chain drive enough to deliberately seek out advice on how to do it, and spend money on parts?

Seriously, the fact that you have to ask this question means that you are not any sort of hard core, old school (have to chuckle at that term), life long biker. If you were you would already know that answer and know how silly this idea is.

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
I suspect I know the answer, why would you want an open primary chain drive enough to deliberately seek out advice on how to do it, and spend money on parts?

Seriously, the fact that you have to ask this question means that you are not any sort of hard core, old school (have to chuckle at that term), life long biker. If you were you would already know that answer and know how silly this idea is.
That's a pretty crappy reply. I just wanted to know what you were looking to do before I attempted to answer your question. Your original question is not completely clear.

Now that you bring up the old school side of it, I'm guessing that you don't want an open primary at all, you want no primary, like an old Knuck with the tin missing. Single row 50 chain.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Vehicle

There uses to be a place over near Philly that sold those parts for newer scooters. Tech Cycle Performance. Not sure if they made it through the shut down last year but you can call them at 215-752-2448

Past that, you don't don't know a damn thing about me. And if you think having one of those foot eating open chain drives makes someone a "old school life long" biker, then carry on.

·
Registered
604 Posts
That's a pretty crappy reply. I just wanted to know what you were looking to do before I attempted to answer your question. Your original question is not completely clear.

Now that you bring up the old school side of it, I'm guessing that you don't want an open primary at all, you want no primary, like an old Knuck with the tin missing. Single row 50 chain.

View attachment 271386

There uses to be a place over near Philly that sold those parts for newer scooters. Tech Cycle Performance. Not sure if they made it through the shut down last year but you can call them at 215-752-2448

Past that, you don't don't know a damn thing about me. And if you think having one of those foot eating open chain drives makes someone a "old school life long" biker, then carry on.

Therm - Sort of confused by this as my reply was directed at the OP, not you. I should probably have quoted the OP and not simply posted after you. I think that once you look at my post above from this perspective that it will make sense to you.

OP - Seriously, why do you want to run an open chain drive?

Fun fact, back in the day when guys ran open drives and jockey shifts not because it was cool but because because they pieced their bikes together and this stuff was cheap throw away. A group of us were out bar hoping on our ratty troubles and pans. My friend Gene had an open chan drive with a jockey shift. Cheapest SOB I ever knew. Anyway, Gene was reaching down with his hand looking for the shifter when his drive open chain drive caught his sleeve and took his hand around the clutch basket. He instantly lost three of his finger tips. Stupidest setup I have ever seen. Why anyone would pay to do this to their bike is beyond logical.

Reactions: SparkyF250

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
Therm - Sort of confused by this as my reply was directed at the OP, not you. I should probably have quoted the OP and not simply posted after you. I think that once you look at my post above from this perspective that it will make sense to you.

OP - Seriously, why do you want to run an open chain drive?

Fun fact, back in the day when guys ran open drives and jockey shifts not because it was cool but because because they pieced their bikes together and this stuff was cheap throw away. A group of us were out bar hoping on our ratty troubles and pans. My friend Gene had an open chan drive with a jockey shift. Cheapest SOB I ever knew. Anyway, Gene was reaching down with his hand looking for the shifter when his drive open chain drive caught his sleeve and took his hand around the clutch basket. He instantly lost three of his finger tips. Stupidest setup I have ever seen. Why anyone would pay to do this to their bike is beyond logical.

My bad, I thought the reply was in response to my post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts