V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on going to 95" & know that I need to upgrade the clutch to avoid slippage. Can I get away with just replacing the spring ($25), or do I need to install the SE performance clutch kit ($230)?

Also, even if I can do just the spring, is there any advantage to doing the whole kit?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did the 95" kit (plus cams, heads, carb, etc.) at 10k miles. I did not have to do anything to my stock clutch (yet). I have no slippage even after another 7k miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just completed my 95 build and did the just the spring. Should be all you need. Some have stuck with the stock spring, for $25 it is cheap insurance that you will not burn your clutch up.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You may get by with the stock spring for awhile. You might start to notice just a bit of slipping on 3rd-4th gear power shifts, especially while riding 2 up or pulling hills. It won't get any better. Get the S/E spring before you ruin a whole set of plates. Some may complain that it makes the lever harder to pull. I have an '03 Ultra and I found that the S/E spring makes my clutch lever pull about the same as the stock one on my old '93 Dyna.
AP

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently upgraded to 95" / gear cams / heads / etc and went with the Reduced Effort Kit p/n 36808-05 $35.96. The Spring is cheap insurance against slippage and the lever setup is really nice. Glad I went with it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Put a spring in it if you need more later a extra plate barnett but no SE Performance clutch not a good peice. high effort on pull studs screw out plates go alway in a hurry tried 1 on our 103 10:90 Bike killed it in 2 passes

·
semi-retired
1,844 Posts
WHICH ONE would you ese?

Otto said:
Put a spring in it if you need more later a extra plate barnett but no SE Performance clutch not a good peice. high effort on pull studs screw out plates go alway in a hurry tried 1 on our 103 10:90 Bike killed it in 2 passes
The carbon-fiber or the kevlar ?

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
My 95 that Otto did, slipped the stock spring/clutch setup right out of the gate. Otto prescribed the heavy duty spring and replacement of the inner most small clutch disc with one of the regular sized ones(soaked in primary oil first). This solution really works and it is low cost. He says that this setup is working on 120+ftlb tq motors he's got running around. Right at first it was a little bit grabby but that seems to have gone away or I've gotten used to it and manage it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is the part number for just the spring? I have the stock set up and 3rd and 4th gear seem soft when I'm really on it 2 up. Thanks

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
FatBobRob said:
The carbon-fiber or the kevlar ?
I asked Otto about this, he said that he prefers the carbon-fiber. Apparently the Kevlar expands too much when it heats up.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I put in the kit, got it from Zanotti's for about $50 less than list , other than the increased effort I'm very happy I did. With the build I did I didn't want to take chances, and it works much better than the stock one ever did,

If you don't like the stiff pull , get the 18 degree ramps

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
@gree:
For a 95" get at least the spring. I went with the Kevlar Performance upgrade and haven't had a bit of trouble.

·
Banned
871 Posts
nodoze said:
I'm planning on going to 95" & know that I need to upgrade the clutch to avoid slippage. Can I get away with just replacing the spring ($25), or do I need to install the SE performance clutch kit ($230)?

Also, even if I can do just the spring, is there any advantage to doing the whole kit?
$230 for a clutch kit????? Leave it to the MoCo to rip ya off on something that costs them less than 50 bucks..... HD/SE parts are overrated and overpriced 95% of the time.

Start with just the spring. When it's time to change the clutch plates, go to http://energyoneclutches.com/index.htm and order one of their kevlar clutch kits. They sell the exact same clutches to Rivera for their racing clutches and are the best in the industry. Part number BT-14 is for the TCs. The price is $90.00 for the kit. I always use the Energy One extra-plate kits for EVOs for $85.00, and that includes a heavy duty spring.

I've never had trouble with kevlar plates, in fact, they seem to last a lot longer. The slightly increased effort from the spring shouldn't be a problem unless you are a small person, have arthritus, or some similiar disability. If ya can handle a Harley, then you should be able to handle the heavy duty clutch. If you do have physical limits in your hand, then go for the reduced effort kit. I just don't like the way they feel. Too "detached", like a *** bike. :)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
This is udner the clutch release cover on the righ side correct? Not in the actual clutch itself, in the primary. right? Got clutch off and getting ready to put back on tomorrow hopefully.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
berserker said:
This is udner the clutch release cover on the righ side correct? Not in the actual clutch itself, in the primary. right? Got clutch off and getting ready to put back on tomorrow hopefully.
If you are talking about the Clutch spring, it's on the clutch. Looks like a spider, fit's under the 11/16 nut.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
berserker said:
If you are talking about the Clutch spring, it's on the clutch. Looks like a spider, fit's under the 11/16 nut.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441848661&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302294245&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302294245&bmUID=1143689059834&bmLocale=en_US

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I got the Big Bore StageII that included the SE HD clutch. I did not like it. I talked to Hippo and bought a VPC pressure plate, and used that with the stock spring. It hold better than stock, way less hand pressure is needed, and the engagement/release is better than it ever was. VPC=Variable Pressure Clutch, it uses fly weights that use centrifugal force to clamp the disks together. It is an easy DIY install, about an hour max.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
csoday said:
What the manual calls damper spring? Manual shows as big ring, not what you would think of as spring. Behind clutch hub?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Too far

The damper spring is the last one to come out, I think. You can see the black spider-like clutch spring when you simply remove the round cover on the primary. I've never been able to wiggle it out--you still have to pull the whole primary cover.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts