V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve installed a scorpion clutch early this summer and it took me long time to get adjust correctly. My other two bikes I installed the same clutch and they both shift great from the beginning. Well yesterday I started feeling a slip when I was in 6th gear and around 4000rpm. When I would jump on it it would take a little bit to catch up for me. So I knew I had installed the weak springs in this one I figured they finally Met their match and was time for me to add some stronger springs. I did this and now I am having issues adjusting darn thing again. I have tried the clutch adjustment screw at 1(2 turn all the way to full turn and no difference. It won’t shift unless I pull clutch and rev up rpm to the perfect spot and then shift it. Both at 1/2 and full turn. Last time I was able to get it adjusted at the full turn mark. This time there is just no difference. Can anyone help me out with this one.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
86 Posts
When you adjusted your Clutch on the Clutch, did you do it cold?
Did you loosen the clutch cable all the way, or disconnect the cable?
When adjusting that center allen , did you loosen then tighten with finger so you could feel the slight drag when it engages, then back off 1/2, I do mine at 3/4" then hold while tightening Lock nut so it will not move the adjustment.
Some people use a allen wrench to adjust, and just use the weight of the wrench to fall till engaged then back off the 1/2 -3/4" then hook up your cable pull in four or five times to set the ball, then adjust 1/8 max, I used a Nickel, just under a 1/8"

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did all the above. Loosened cable and then tighten with Allen wrench just till it touches. I also did it by hand just until it touches. I have done everything. I have done it so many times now with all my bikes it’s etched in my head. This is the only one I’m having issues with. I’m out of ideas.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
86 Posts
It must be in the Clutch pack basket, Just a guess, the basket Is be on me, hopefully an Expert will chime in here.
or is this one of those newer Hydraulic Clutches?

·
Registered
843 Posts
check throwout bearing then use rislone trans additive 1 qt or so in primary...wat yr bike??...when i put my barnet pack in it was tight to get it assembled on but has worked perfectly so far 6 yrs now

·
Registered
843 Posts
check throwout bearing then use rislone trans additive 1 qt or so in primary...wat yr bike??...when i put my barnet pack in it was tight to get it assembled on but has worked perfectly so far 6 yrs now

·
Registered
843 Posts
but my tho out beraing took a crap 2 yrs ago and had sim problems...it was on its last 2 or 3 rollers

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s about 85. To 90 mph and then normally with my cams I can get on it and she will just keep going without having to downshift to quickly pass someone. Then last weekend when I got on it it would slip for a second or two then the clutch would allow it to go. There Was a slip though so I’m thinking it had to be the weaker springs. Swapped out springs now cant seam to get clutch dialed back in. It’s 06 Electra glide with the ultima builders kit tranny.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If my pushrod is a little bit too short would that cause this issue. However it’s been running great for four months now this only began when we exchanged Springs. Tell Terri what type of clutches do you prefer.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
i would use energy 1 in a clutch thst had stock basket and hub
but in performance engines the rivera pro clutch has always been my favorite... put it in, adjust it, forget it,, up to around 150hp,, then use the heavy spring,, or the centrifugal pressure plate..

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you I will definitely check it out. The heavy springs on this scorpion clutch were too much for this old man to pull. Is the rivera like that?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well now I’ve got it adjusted well enough for it to drive. It is still very difficult to shift gears however. The best adjustment I’ve been able to come with is with handleout away from bar make contact with adjuster screw at basket then back off full turn.

·
not sober all the time
5,799 Posts
Thank you I will definitely check it out. The heavy springs on this scorpion clutch were too much for this old man to pull. Is the rivera like that?
My little 95" engine doesn't put out a ton of power but the stock clutch was slipping a little after doing the build. I added a heavier spring which aggravated the tendonitis in my arm. I looked around for options and decided on a Rivera Pro clutch. It's expensive but man, that's the deal! The pull is nice and light. I can't make it slip and it seems like it never needs adjusting.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SUCCESS FINALLY!!(y):eek:
ok so finally was able to get her adjusted. I know my pushrod is slightly shorter then the one I need but I was able to get this to shift like butter finally. I ended up loosen the cable again. Loosen clutch adjustment screw, and then making sure balls and ramp were positioned correctly. instead of having slight pressure on my clutch handle just before it touches the bars I had to open clutch handle all the way up. Then with handle wide open I turned adjuster screw until it bottomed out on pushrod. Then I turned back 80% of a turn. Then put all back together and it has found its spot. Thank you lord.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Well, golly, what happened to it shifting like butter? What changed or what else did you do to it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did absolutely nothing but put some miles on it other then ride around the block. It is still shifting like butter up. It’s now the downshifting that’s it feels hard. I checked my shifter paw and it’s in middle of third gear as supposed to be. If my rpms are correct it downshifts great but if I’m in third and stop and try to downshift to first that’s when it won’t even budge. I have to rev up rpm to about 1500 to get it to downshift at that point. I’m running out of ideas. i have checked everything other then tearing tranny down. I really don’t want that at this point in season.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
If you know that you are going to come to a stop, then start downshifting while you are still decelerating. If you aren't downshifting when you know you are going below a rpm shift range for the gear you are in, then if you don't stop and need to pick up speed, you will be lugging your engine,,, and that isn't healthy for your motor. Downshifting is a normal procedure while rolling, not at a stop. And you don't have to blip that throttle every time you downshift, just a waste of gas.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts