V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently had the shifter assembly on my 85 fxrs replaced, never had an issue with the tranny leaking before but been puking fluid ever since. damn shame it cost me $300 for a leak. :>(
it seems to be leaking in the area of the bottom inner primary bolt (the one with the ground strap). hard to tell exactly, won't know unitil i do the work. i've got a lot of good info here and in other forums and i feel i can do all the seal replacements myself (ordered a james tranny gasket & seal kit). i think i will have an issue with the clutch hub removel. what i'm asking here does anyone know if a generic gear puller will work, or will i have to spring for a "speciality" tool?

thanx

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i use my shovel clutch hub puller on my 85 evo. the threaded rod doesn't fit exactly in the middle of the main shaft but it is close enough. only 2 of the clutch pack bolts line up with the holes on the shovel puller but it always worked for me. make sure you have the bolts as tight as they go and hit it with an air wrench. should pop right off. if you can find one to use, they work. if you get it stripped down that far maybe an indy or a dealer can pull it for you, it only takes a couple of minutes. you may have to trailer it there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
problem solved, talked to a local mech and for $30 he will let me use one of his lifts and tools

thanx for the feedback

·
FXR
117 Posts
I used a generic gear pulley when I pulled mine. I have the same year fxr.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I have made one form a snap on harmonic balancer pulleyset and a piece of plate one eight thick.It work well and no cost hardly Good luck it notthat hard
Glen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts