V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the HD reduced clutch pull kit and it requires the replacement of the diaphragm spring. The service manual states that to replace the clutch disks, same basic concept, you need to remove the outer primary cover. When I look at the size of the spring compared to the size of the derby cover it appears as if I can replace the spring by working thru the derby cover opening without taking the primary cover off. Can anyone confirm that I can do this?

TIA,
Danny

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
In a perfect world, you can do it. But, the derby hole does not line up with the clutch exactly, and it is a big pain. I tried it once, but now just remove the primary cover because it takes less time in the long run.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The diaphragm spring won't fit through the opening without prying the spring out, at least on my Dyna. I've heard of people doing this but I wouldn't want to try it. Just remove the outer primary cover like the instructions say. BTW, you're not required to replace the spring, you can just use the ramps. About half of the reduced effort is due to the ramps.
I did the ramps on mine first and then the spring a couple weeks later. The clutch does not slip with my mild 95".

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
i have found it is possible to change the stock one and the reduced effort one, but changing to the s.e. is a real pain with the primary cover on.....If you have the time i would take the cover off, inspect the comp nut and check the chain tension. Take your time and enjoy it, not that hard at all....just use the torque specs.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts