V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change the clutch cable on my 2001 Night Train. When I pull the cover and am I going to have quarts of oil spilling out or can I complete this mod without a full drain and change?

Thanks in advance,
Bret

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
Should lose very little if you leave it on the kickstand. Also remember that the tranny holds less than a quart. Approx 24 oz. + or - a couple. If it's been awhile it never hurts. I'd still change it the next time the primary is due....just to keep it on the same schedule. I agree with xxx, just top it off.

Do you have the owner's or factory service manual? If not, at least one of them is a MUST HAVE if you want to really get to know the ins and outs of your bike. You can order them at the dealer.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

H

·
0 Posts
My first choice would be to go ahead and replace the trans fluid. However, if you want, you can drain it into a clean container, and then re-use it after you're done. Or, as others pointed out, you'll likely lose little to none if you keep the bike leaned over on the stand.

Harris

·
Twin Fan
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the owner's and shop manual. I didn't mean "spilling quarts" literally, sorry!

Bike was just serviced so fluids are fresh still. I will be working on it while on the stand so sounds like it'll be ok.

This is my first operation on this bike so I guess I am a bit timid. No matter how many times I read the manual getting some experienced advice from real people always feels better to me.

Thank you, gentlemen!
Bret

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Roll the bike's front and rear wheels up on 2" planks and let the kickstand rest on the ground. This will give you enough of a lean angle as to not lose ANY fluid.

YB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts