V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new V-Rod out a whopping two times. Noticed early I had the depress the clutch lever almost all the way to the grip for it to engage. Today I noticed I could squeeze it all the way to the grip sometimes and it wouldn't engage... difficult to change gears.

If I squeeze the lever a few times halfway (like pump it), I then get enough engagement to activate the clutch and shift gears. I'm going to check the fluid level but it sounds to me like there is air in the line. Anyone experience this or know how to bleed the line?

Thanks much,

Steve

·
Registered
477 Posts
sfarson,

To clarify, when you squeeze clutch lever, your disengaging clutch, clutch is engaged until you squeeze lever. But anyway, I just checked my service manual on correct bleeding procedure. Of course your bike is very new, you could just bring it to stealership and have them fix it under warranty. But here's procedure in case you decide to do it yourself: 1st remove master cyl cover and verify proper/full dot 5 fluid level with bike level and bars level. Remove cover exposing slave cylinder, its the little cover held on with 3 allen screws. To bleed line, pump lever 4-5 times and hold to bar, loosen banjo bolt slightly at clutch cover housing til fluid/air bleeds, then close bolt completely and release lever. DO NOT release lever with any bleed screw or bolt open whatsoever. Obviously, use some rags to contain fluid. Check reservoir fluid level, top off. Repeat again then check level. When you have all fluid and no air, do the same procedure but loosen secondary bleed screw on clutch slave cylinder located at 12:00 straight up, looks like a pipe plug. Pump 4-5 times, hold lever, crack open plug, close plug fully then release lever, check fluid level, repeat til no air, just fluid. Make sure you use only DOT 5 fluid, like Belray brand or equivalent. Your symtoms sound like air in line or slave cylinder to me, or defective master cylinder or slave cyl if there is no air present in lines. Hope this helps you, good luck.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
teething issues re: clutch bleed

I wouldn’t even hesitate to bring it in Steve. If your having clutch problems in your 1st 500 miles, or any other teething issues, you need to document it. Take it in and have their Vrod tech ride it or ride with you. They should be falling all over themselves to keep you a happy Harley owner.

Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update...

Stopped by the dealer today (on other bike :) ) and described problem. Sounds very much like air in line. The tech showed how it can be bled -- just as you described. Decided I would swing by soon and they will take care of it in 10 minutes or so. They were very eager to help. Could try myself but it will be easy to drop in.

Thank-you both for your responses.

Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts