V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Wideglide. My clutch lever grabs at the end of the lever travel. According to the manual it tells you how to adjust the clutch. It does not tell you how to get the clutch to grab sooner. I need the clutch to grab before the lever is all the way out. Can anyone HELP??

·
Registered
233 Posts
Adjust the clutch and it should get better.
1. Loosen the adjuster on the clutch cable.
2 Remove the inspection cover.
3. Adjust the clutch - loosen adjusting screw locknut and turn the screw clockwise until it is seated (lightly).
5. Press the cluch few times.
6. back out adjusting screw 1/2 to 1 full turn, tighten the locknut.
7. Adjust the cable slack.
8. Install the cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help. Now I can go ahead and adjust the clutch. I thought if you adjusted the clutch it would grab sooner. Now I know for sure. Thanks again

·
Registered
219 Posts
1/2 turn = full engagement immediately(aggressive, race)
1 turn = full engagement towards the end of lever travel, more clutch range(for traffic use, dressers, etc.)

3/4 turn = happy medium

·
Free agent
795 Posts
One tip

The suggestions tell you to turn adjuster screw until it is lightly seated. That is somewhat vague. Most will turn it all the way in until it is to the end..but lightly seated. What you are supposed to do is when you loosen the locknut...turn the adjuster screw until it just grabs the thread. In other words...it would be like tring to put a bolt into a nut. You can feel it grab. Well...turning the adjuster screw will feel all loose and then you will feel it just grab. That is lightly seated. There are so..so..many on this forum that hve done the same thing and turned the screw in all the way until it bottoms out and then they have no clutch at all. Just turn it in until it grabs...then back off the 1/2 to 1 full turn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts