V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Passin' through
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'05 Road King at 25K miles. I was doing the normal 5K service. While adjusting the clutch after pouring in the primary fluids, no problem. I went to adjust the cable per the book, fiddled with the lever to ensure enough freeplay, squeezed and it felt different - the lever would not travel all the way to the grip. I completed the adjustment and then it started making a sharp, metal on metal clang noise when the lever made it all the way back. I backed off the adjustments on both the cluch and the cable, tried it again and it made a louder noise AND SNAPPED. Now the the whole cable feels limper than a wet noodle as if the cable broke. HOWEVER, I just went into the cable cover area to see if it broke or maybe the ramps broke, but it all looks fine.
:puke:
What went wrong?
Theories?
Fix?

Thanks, DP for getting the site up again, I need the help NOW.
?prty:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Your balls may be loose. I would start with that.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Berserker, thats not nice!!!!!

What he means Flash, is that there are three balls under the ramp. You have to remove that humungus snap ring, lift the ramp and make sure the three balls are in their detents.

·
Passin' through
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aaaah, my balls...

LOL Thanks guys.
While under the clutch cover, I went ahead and swapped the OEM ramps with easy pulls (next stop - SE diaphram spring). Hard to say if the balls had been out of wack. If, during the original adjustment, I backed off the adjusting screw more than a few turns, could that have let the balls creep out of their detents?
I guess I'll use some grease in the detents to hold them in place when I re-assemble it. I hope it's compatible with the fornula+ fluid. Thanks for helping out a shadetree (wanna-be) mech.

Kevin
:thanks:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
You don't loosen your balls by backing out to far, but by screwing to far. You can completely remove the rod, and nothing will happen, that I know of. Don't touch your lever when in this state.

Clutch is kinda simple, cable runs from lever to top plate on the ramps. Balls move in grooves. The plate drives the rod, to the other side and moves the clutch.

I've had my balls out of whack a couple times.

·
Passin' through
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Berserker, thanks again. What I think I hear you saying is to re assemble it:

1. back out the screw a bunch,
2. close up the clutch cover (right side)
3. lightly seat the screw (per normal 5K service), etc.
4. Only then start adjusting the cable (...that's where I hosed it up)

Any thing else to consider when I drop in the SE spring?

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Sounds right.

What I did last time, is do a dry run. put the cover on loose, and adjust it, makes sure it works right before tq down. When it finally comes together, its just right, and you can feel it. Had to play with it a couple times.

I made the mistake of turning the adjust screw all the way in.

Did you remove exhaust? I was able to use a ball allen and just loosen the exhaust. 1/4" drive ratchet gets in there great.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good advice. Also, do a search by "Harris" for clutch adjusting procedure. I know it's helped a lot of us (especially when it comes to the allen screw's "seated" position).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Stab in dark. Hope this makes sence. Sounds like the cable sheath, or cover ends at the adjuster came out. And was hooked on the outside, making
it seem realy tight. Then fell, scapped into place makeing it seem really
loose. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts