V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, brand spanking noobie here with first post
no luck with search help

just bought an 02 lowrider and i would like the clutch to start catching sooner; like it did on my sporty. i already have too much play in my cable (1/4") if i adjust that to spec; which i intend on doing at the cable adjuster (1/16 to 1/8") wont that just make it engage later than it already is?
I have the service manual here in front of me and it mentions to adjust the clutch adjuster screw inside the primary. states to break loose jamnut and seat adjustment screw, then back out screw 1/2 to 1 full turn......easy enough, but should i aim for just 1/2 turn or the full 1 turn in order for it to catch sooner?:confused:
If anyone has done this before, please give me some insight; also what tools i may need- (crowsfoot to hold jamnut?)
Thanks in advance

·
Banned
999 Posts
the farther you back off the screw or cable the more free play you will end up with in lever.

that 1/2 turn in clutch screw is just so that there is some sort of slack in clutch pushrod. cable adjustment should make up the rest.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I'm not sure you can get what you are looking for with any adjustments, I know what you mean, it grabs when the lever is almost all the way out. I got used to it. You could try a white bros "LITE BOY" clutch, it makes the clutch pull easier by lengthening the throw. Some guys don't like them, I have not had a problem with them ????? Good luck however you decide...

·
Registered
97 Posts
WHat was your final setting?

So, when does the clutch engage sooner? When the clutch adjustment is at 1/2 turn or at 1 turn? I adjusted my clutch yesterday and it now engages later. I set the adjustment at 3/4 turn. I prefer the clutch to engage sooner although I will probably ride it this way for awhile to see if I can get used to it. With a heavier duty clutch spring installed it's more difficult working a clutch that engages later.

Thanks!

-JP
Portland OR
'03 Road King Classic

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just make sure you also adjust the cable back in before you do the primary adjustment so your next several adjustments can be done with the cable.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
..... make sure there's a 1/16 inch gap (when you pull on the cable housing) where the clutch cable housing meets the lever.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
You could try slightly less than a 1/2 turn but be carefull as you may get it to where the clutch will drag . I set mine at 3/4 with little or no slack in the cable as I do not like to pull the lever in very far to shift. Makes for faster shifts as well. Good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. take off derby cover
2. loosen jamb nut on center bolt
3. loosen clutch center bolt
4. tighten up cable adjuster to shortest position
5. tighten clutch center bolt until it bottoms out against internal rod
6. back clutch center bolt out 1 turn
7. tighten jamb nut
8. adjust cable adjuster to allow a small amount of freeplay
9. install derby cover