V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm north of seattle.... I'd like to set a trip up into Canada and Banff, then thru Sturgis next year, then the long route thru the rockies and home..... I like the long way in back roads........ I have much time and few limits...... let's see where you send me....

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I would ride to Anacortes, take the Ferry to Sidney on Vancouver Island, then ride up to Naniamo. Take the Departure Bay Ferry to Horseshoe Bay West Van., get on the #99 and head up thru Whistler to Lillooet, #12 to Lytton, #1 to Spences Bridge and stop in at the Log Cabin Pub for beer and eats. Hit the #8 to Merrit, #5 to Kamloops then #1 thru the Shuswap Lake area to Revelstoke, Golden to Lake Louise. You could get a room there and the do a day trip up to Jasper and back (2.5 hrs one way).
Stay on #1 east to #40 and head thru Kananaskis Country to Longview, down the #22/ #3 to Pincher Creek or detour on #533 to Nanton the #2/#3 to Pincher Creek#3, straight down thru Waterton and into Montana. Hopefully someone with more info. on that area can take over with cool rides from there.
Cheers:)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would ride to Anacortes, take the Ferry to Sidney on Vancouver Island, then ride up to Naniamo. Take the Departure Bay Ferry to Horseshoe Bay West Van., get on the #99 and head up thru Whistler to Lillooet, #12 to Lytton, #1 to Spences Bridge and stop in at the Log Cabin Pub for beer and eats. Hit the #8 to Merrit, #5 to Kamloops then #1 thru the Shuswap Lake area to Revelstoke, Golden to Lake Louise. You could get a room there and the do a day trip up to Jasper and back (2.5 hrs one way).
Stay on #1 east to #40 and head thru Kananaskis Country to Longview, down the #22/ #3 to Pincher Creek or detour on #533 to Nanton the #2/#3 to Pincher Creek#3, straight down thru Waterton and into Montana. Hopefully someone with more info. on that area can take over with cool rides from there.
Cheers:)

COOL..... Got it saved and will research. Most likely skip the boat ride, done it many times ( I live near Anacortes ) Save 1/2 day and just hit the Peace arch crossing..... I'm a planner, and I got time. I don't want to miss anything. I'll likely just brush Sturgis, not big on the crowds. On the way back I'll probably take the secondaries to las vegas, and then go north, bryce, tetons, glacier, then back home on 20 ( reverse of what i have done b4 ).

Any tips or secrets anyone care to share is much appreciated.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have time to do Jasper as well: from Kamloops take hwy 5 north to hwy 16 east to Jasper. From Jasper take hwy 93 south through both Jasper and Banff Parks. Hwy 93 melts into hwy 1. Around the Lake Louise turnoff you could head east on the Bow Valley Parkway to avoid the TransCanada Hwy 1 traffic. At Castle Junction you could hop back onto hwy 93 and ride through the Kootenay N.P. to Radium Hot Springs where you'd turn south on hwy 95/93 to hwy 3 Crowsnest hwy) east to hwy 93 south to the Roosville border crossing.
Staying on US hwy 93 south to Whitefish and then to hwy 2 east and turn off at the West Glacier N.P. entrance. Take the "Going-to-the-Sun" road (Logan Pass). Caveat there is you'd be riding uphill through construction and, if your as unlucky as I was this year, following a bunch of turtles at a snails pace.
Head south on hwy 89 at St. Mary to Great Falls. Could even stop by Big Sky H-D and buy a T, or not. Take 89/87 south and stop in at the little town of Belt. Neat little early 1900's jail/museum (was closed when I rode through) and a swinging bridge. Although I wouldn't recommend walking across the bridge, I did and found broken and rotten boards. My wife wasn't that impressed after I told her#[email protected]
From there I'd head south to take in the Beartooth Hwy and Pass.
If you catch up with hwy 14 to Sheridan, that is suppose to be a nice ride.
I don't recommend hwy 16 from Buffalo to Cody, Wyoming. Boring is a nice way to describe this route. I joked with my wife I'd almost expect to see dinosaurs in the hills around that route.

Have a great ride when you do..:beer:

Have you ever ridden the Chinook Pass Hwy (hwy 410)? Did that this year, no railings, no shoulders and 4 ft snowbanks up the side in fog and rain. Wife really wasn't impressed with my choice of hwy then.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great stuff hippie ! oh yeah we ride 410 a bunch,,,,,also bluit and white passes, and of course my home town run up and over the cascades hiway 20,,,,, skipped that section last w/e in favor of a 4 day run around mt st helens,,,, way nice, end of the season camping run ... good thing it finally rained, forced me to change tires.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts