V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a new black FLHTCI a few months ago. I am having a problem with the clearcoat, whether I am washing or waxing the bike hair line scratches appear. Is it possible that the clear is to soft? Does anyone have an answer? Haven't talked with the stealer yet. :confused:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Broken Spoke said:
Purchased a new black FLHTCI a few months ago. I am having a problem with the clearcoat, whether I am washing or waxing the bike hair line scratches appear. Is it possible that the clear is to soft? Does anyone have an answer? Haven't talked with the stealer yet. :confused:
What kind of material are you using to wash and dry with? That could easily do it on black if you are using the wrong thing.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Currently own 6 black vehicles and understand exactly what you're saying....small scratches. There are several products out there that will "cover" these scratches for a period of time or until the next time you wash the bike.

One thing that you have to remember when washing your ride, DO NOT use the same sponge/rag/mitt/whatever that you used to wash the engine, wheels and such, to wash your paint. Small bits of crap get into these and can't, I repeat, can not be removed. I have a mitt to do the paint and another mitt to do the engine/wheels/such... You drop your "paint" mitt on the ground....you have another engine/wheel mitt because it's going to pick up dirt !!!! Oh!!!! I also have a different wash bucket for each also.

A little side bar, try washing your bike with Woolite fabric wash for the final wash of your paint. Use the powder and NOT the liquid.

Good luck....

Ride Safe !!!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Dunno about Woolite, but I agree with the rest of Texan's post about washing. When drying, the least possible scratching choices seem to be using a leaf blower first, finishing up with U.S. made 100% cotton white towels. The Corvette Forum folks are fanatics on paint and that's what they recommend. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Leaf blower is the ticket to drying. I use S-100 for washing. I rarely rub on the paint on my bike when washing. If I have to, I use a natural lambskin mitt. I always hit the paint with wax after a wash. I don't mean a 2 hour detail, but a 5 minute once over. What I miss this time, I'll get the next.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
When using a leaf blower just make sure it's clean on the inside. I have a combo leaf blower/edger/weedwacker and I use it for the lawn and I have a shop-vac that has a blower option on it and use that strictly for the bike.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Trooper113, I generally use Blue Coral car wash and Meguiar's Step 3 Carnauba wax. I think I have traced the problem to the various polishing rags that I have been using. Notice that I called them RAGS, not a quality polishing cloth. A jeweler friend recommended that I use a product called "Kit Scratch Out" and a lambskin wash mitten to remove the fine scratches just as xxxflhrci recommended. Just completed this step. I was successful in removing about 99% of the problem with little efffort.
Texan, all very good points, some I have been practicing the others I will implement ASAP!!

As for the drying process I have been using my air compressor for years, never thought about using the leaf blower!!!

THANKS AGAIN

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.