V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is now almost two months since I cleaned the Harley.
She is litterally covered in dust, mud and other dirty stuff.
With the winter season starting in September here in london and the weather being ugly all the time, what's the point in cleaning the bike if it's goin' to get rained over AGAIN tomorrow?

I know these bikes are supposed to be kept shiny as new but looking at her all dirty I can't help somewhat liking the way she looks.

How long have you gone without washing your Harley?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
You might want to wax and polish it any way to keep it from getting bike cancer (rust) I keep my bikes clean except for my winter ride which has never been washed in 2 years(unless you count 70mph in the rain). It looks like it's never been washed in two years too. We have pretty much the same wheather here that the UK gets. Grey and rainy.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Reminds me of a Harley ad they ran back in 1988. there was an FXR dirty with bugs all over the front end with the caption

RIDE HARD OR STAY HOME

Could have sworn it was my bike right down to the color.

·
963 Posts
Well, I like to keep mine clean. But I do ride often. With a good coat of wax all that is need on a dailey basis is to wipe down the front and bloww it off all over with compressed air. I go all over it about once a month.-Rob

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Well I suppose nobody will mistake you for one of those guys that only takes their bike out from under cover in fair weather for a little posin & polishin :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
94c4 said:
......, what's the point in cleaning the bike if it's goin' to get rained over AGAIN tomorrow?

I know these bikes are supposed to be kept shiny as new but looking at her all dirty I can't help somewhat liking the way she looks.

How long have you gone without washing your Harley?
That is the whole point... The only time my bike gets washed is in a rain storm... Cleaning just takes away from the available riding tiime.... IMHO, you have a bike to ride, it's not a Friggin Fashion Show, or Competition... A dirty bike shows its character, just like those little paint nicks are scars of Valor and hard miles.... For those about to Ride.... We Salute You.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cleaning? Yeah right!

[QUOTE
:D :D :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya liked that Huh???? That is why my Garbage Barge is called "The Dirty Blue B(it)ch"... Always rode hard and put away wet.... but not washed.... She aint pretty, but she is ridden....

·
Registered
163 Posts
There are a few things I do to maintain my level of sanity. Yard work, cigars, cleaning my truck, and bike, and Riding. I enjoy spending a few hours in the garage with a fine cigar and a polishing cloth.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Tomorrow I'll be taking

the Deuce out through a mile long gauntlet of dirt, snow, and Ice before hitting pavement. There will be some messy spots on the pavement. Price I pay to ride year round at 8800ft in central Colorado.

When I get home, after a cool-off period, I'll go to the garage and clean her up. Kinda fun to do so and I get a little bit of a workout. Guess I call it pride of ownership, but that's me. Sometimes I spot something... like a loose bolt/nut.

Have a dual-sport BMW R1150GS. Now that thing, with no chrome, should look gnarly and adventurous. Something about dirty chrome looks uncared for... a rat bike. Gonna break down soon. And don't clean bikes run better and go faster :p ?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
truck wash and degreaser on the bottom end and a damp shammy on the rest. however i thought i would post a pic of my mates bike, he never washes with water only a polish rag.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rain was water in the old days of Neanderthal man.
In our time what comes down from the sky also contains water (and I am not even an environmentalist).
So that's not entirely good for washing the bike.

·
Registered
725 Posts
woodwalkertc88 said:
hey sfarson,,,what kind of milage do you get at 8800 feet above sea level ??? I rode 3 days there in july and thought my gas gauge was broken !!!!
Great gas mileage... high 40's, sometimes 50+mpg. I know, I fill up at the same station on the way home, reset the trip and note the gallons consumed.

Bike is carbed with stage 1. Maybe you were doing some serious mountain climbing... or your bike is tuned for lower alt? Enjoy your trip?

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i have a efi 2000 rk,,,usually get 200 off 1 tank,,,while i was in hi country (over 8000 feet ) i rode and rode,,,and gauge would not show below 3/4 even after riding over 100 miles,,,,i finally decided the gas gauge was broken damn !!!! ,,,however when i dropped back down fuel consumption increased,,thought about it as i rode and decided ( duh ) the efi had cut fuel so much to compensate for lack of air and it threw me,,,power was also cut ,,,in fact several passes at 12,000 feet the throttle was wfo and no gain in speed,,, i sure cant complain about performance tho the low country tuned carbed bikes were really struggeling ,,,,, been to smaller mountain ranges but my first trip to Colo. (real mountains ) on a bike,,,loved it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts