V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came in from a ride, and lots of grime from damp roads. :badmood: Wanted to clean my laced wheels on new FLHRCI. What a B!tch!!! There has to be an easier way to wash down the wheels. Especially the left rear...Does everyone take off there bags to clean their wheels? Any insight to how everyone cleans their wheels and tires is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Bags off on a lift.
Enjoy.
P.S. That's why I have chrome and wax the snot out of them in the winter. Easier to clean the rest of the year.

·
Registered
210 Posts
JimmyAGR said:
Just came in from a ride, and lots of grime from damp roads. :badmood: Wanted to clean my laced wheels on new FLHRCI. What a B!tch!!! There has to be an easier way to wash down the wheels. Especially the left rear...Does everyone take off there bags to clean their wheels? Any insight to how everyone cleans their wheels and tires is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimmy
get a bike lift and put it in neutral take off the bags and begin have fun!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
H-D Wheel Cleaning Stand

Since I don't have a lift/jack/etc, found on eBay a H-D Wheel Cleaning Stand (P/N 94687-00), roll the whell on, rolloer allow wheels to turn, and apply water/soap/wheel brush. Simple and works well. Get the tapered wheel cleaning brush from H-D, I tried to use toilet brushes and just about every other type of brush too, but nothing works as well as the tapered one!

BTW -- this H-D part is discontinued but dealer can do a dealer search for a new one. Mine was new but got it a great price on eBay. Here is one on eBay now (not H-D but same principle): search.ebay.com/Wheel-Cleaning-Stand_W0QQfromZR40QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfstypeZ1QQssPageNameZRC0021

·
Registered
762 Posts
As stated above, if you want to do it right, take the bags off, put the bike on a lift, and use a spoke brush. With the bags removed, you can also use the opportunity to check the tire pressure, as well as clean and detail other parts of the bike that are otherwise difficult to access. Beer makes the task easier. I have a habit of washing my bike on rainy days, so I don't miss any saddle time when the sun's shining.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts