V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recon! Hello gents! The 'Guns' just finished a ride from Tampa, FL to Mobile, AL (500 miles). My first trip on a bike, and now since I've experienced every hazard known to man (including a bee flying into my helmet while I'm doing 80 mph on the interstate) I self proclaim that I'm no longer a 'FNG'....lol. Promote me now....!

Anyway, I need some tips. My bike is filthy now! Rode through the rain. Please give the Gunny some ideas on best method of cleaning:

my RKC windshield?
what do I use to clean the painte surfaces of the bike?
what do I need to do to clean, maintain, and preserve the chrome after riding through the rain?

Your guidance, vision, and help in this matter is appreciated....

Mad Dog

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Hey Gunny...

No chemicals on the windshield. Little soap and water and a soft cloth. Spray the bike down real good and get all the heavy stuff off that way. Soap her up and do all the nice painted surfaces first so when you get to washing the real dirty parts you don't end up grinding dirt into the paint. Make sure to have plenty of clean wash rags available as well for the same reason. Get yourself a leaf blower if you have the dough. It really speeds up on drying the bike and does a real good job. Use any good wax and give the bike a coat.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I like the S100 cleaner. follow the directions and I still like to wipe bike down with soft towels when done.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I only use S100 on the engine or underneath the bike when it gets real dirty. Make sure you hose that stuff off really good because it will leave a film.

Other than that its soap and water and a sponge.

The leaf blower thing is okay but I use my wet/dry vaccum. I take the filter off and empty the vac and wipe it out. I have a diffuser nozzle that goes from the 2.5" host down to about 1".

I use a very soft towel to wipe off anything the vac missed or I was too impatient to get to. After I'm done wiping it down, I start the bike up until it reaches normal temperature.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I put a warm wet towel over the windshield and fairing to soften up all the dead bugs while I wash the rest of the bike off car wash soap and warm water. Then I take off the towel and wash off the bugs from the windshield and fairing. I use a leaf blower to dry off the bike after.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Spokes

Don't mind if I piggy back. And what the deal on washing spokes. I've heard some horror stories in here of some washing the 'rust' protective coating right off the spokes. Pointless.

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
eglide1 said:
I put a warm wet towel over the windshield and fairing to soften up all the dead bugs while I wash the rest of the bike off car wash soap and warm water. Then I take off the towel and wash off the bugs from the windshield and fairing. I use a leaf blower to dry off the bike after.

What he said.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Buy a Mr. Clean car wash thing. It reaally drys spot free.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
wash job

I use the Mister Clean thing only to rinse my bike...then leaf blow it dry...it dries spot free and she's black......

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
If your neighbours are sensitive to leaf blowers...

use a chamois. Almost as quick. Works just as well. Infinitely quieter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just like the car...do the wheels first. Use S100 wheel cleaner and depending on the grime let is soak in and if your wheel are nasty nasty nasty use a soft brush on them. Rinse and I mean rinse the wheel cleaner off with lots & lots of water, don't be shy.

Now you can S100 bike wash the rest. Pay particular attention to the front cylinder, & voltage regulator along with the bottom that is where the crud hides.. Also get the S100 UNDER the fenders lots of crap under there and if that gets wet it runs out and splatters the rest of your ride.

Now then same deal don't let the S100 dry and when you do rinse it use lots & lots of water because S100 will spot if you don't!.

When you are done break out the blower. Make sure the blower is electric ONLY. If you use a gas blower that will blow a fine oil film onto the bike.

There are lots of place water gathers on a bike you'll be surprised.

Once the drying is done grab your pig snot and wipe down any spots with a clean microfiber towel.

Now then don't be stupid and try to wash the battery or the intake.:nono: :nono:

As for the finishing touches...remove the seat (softail) and clean around the battery with compressed air. Finally ride it any water posssibly missed will quickly dry or run off which may require 1 last shot pig snot. Done

Now I know all you "just ride in the rain guys are laughing" but when your home watching the kids detailing the bike is a great time filler till you can go ride!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
S100 cleaner

I remember reading a post recently suggesting diluting S100 50/50 with water. I tried it and it cleans just as well as full strenght and goes twice as far. Give it a try and see if you don't agree. Also use Electric leaf blower. Ez

Eternity....it's Hell without Jesus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Using S-100 on EVERYTHING with good results, you can’t get any easier. Just don’t spray it on when the engine is hot and I don’t use it in direct sun during hot weather. It won’t remove the bugs unless you “soften them up” first. Of course the occasional wax on the paint and metal polish on polished surfaces to protect and preserve. I shelled out the $200.00 for one of those “air force” motorcycle dryers. Great for drying the bike but I think more importantly blows out all the little pockets of standing water in areas you can’t get to.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
I shelled out the $200.00 for one of those “air force” motorcycle dryers. Great for drying the bike but I think more importantly blows out all the little pockets of standing water in areas you can’t get to.
I use my compressor for that!!:hmmm:

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Rock Steady said:
Don't mind if I piggy back. And what the deal on washing spokes. I've heard some horror stories in here of some washing the 'rust' protective coating right off the spokes. Pointless.
I'll speak a little louder this time....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts