V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 softail wouldn't start easily - tech found a pile of tarry crap and brown gunk in bottom of float bowl. Caused needle to stick in jet making it too rich for easy start. This is after 3 years of using 98 high octane (Australian) gas and HD Duralt additive with every tank. I can only put it down to dirty fuel from gas stations. Has anyone had similar experience? Is there any way to clean crud out of the fuel system beyond draining the tank, or any additive to clean the system?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hi mate. When you get a chance please reply to the aussie roll call thread.lol.

There is no way that i know of to clean the fuel system other than those you already state.
All fuel goes from the tank,to the pump and then your bikes tank. I recomend the use of a high quality fuel filter and i always fill up at the newest servo i find.
A mate of mine owns a servo in SA and tells me that alot of the crap is in the tanks(of the petrol station) to begin with and because his tanks are new haven't accumalated all the gunk...YET. I always use Fuel doctors it is a good additive as it was designed for the cleaning of petrol station tanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll stick to new fuel stations (I find BP or caltex 98 octane run well) and give 'fuel doctors' a try - is it readily available in auto shops?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Yea mate I get it from Supercheap or my Castrol supplier.
I'm with you, I reckon BP Ultimate 98 is a good thing although its a little dear.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got some fuel doctor - how much and how often do you use it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts