V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 9 spoke Road King mag wheels on my bike (see the links under my signature). The metal on the edge of the rim, next to where it meets rubber, looks like crap. What do you use to keep them clean? Thanks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I don't have the stock rims. But best time to clean is when changing tires.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same type of rims on my 05 EG. I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. It will take a lot of elbow grease to get them clean but it is worth the work. The more times you do it the better they get. Once you get them really clean you only have to do them 2 or 3 times a season. What part of the Jersey Shore are you located? I'm outside Toms River.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ski5844 said:
I have the same type of rims on my 05 EG. I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. It will take a lot of elbow grease to get them clean but it is worth the work. The more times you do it the better they get. Once you get them really clean you only have to do them 2 or 3 times a season. What part of the Jersey Shore are you located? I'm outside Toms River.
Thanks Ski5844,
It's funny. I have the same Mother's polish. I didn't try the elbow grease method because it says on the bottle that it's not needed. I just figured it wasn't working. At least I don't have to go out and buy something else. I live in Highlands, next to Sandy Hook.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
If you aren't much of a wheel cleaner, and especially if those are '05 wheels, you might want to polish a small area on the brake side of the rear before you rub your fingers to nubs. If they're pitted, you have other decisions to make. DAMHIK...:badmood:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MegaGlide said:
If you aren't much of a wheel cleaner, and especially if those are '05 wheels, you might want to polish a small area on the brake side of the rear before you rub your fingers to nubs. If they're pitted, you have other decisions to make. DAMHIK...:badmood:

Thanks Mega,

I don't care about the pitting too much. I just don't want chrome or brushed aluminum being filthy black because it means I have to clean them. A lot of the reason why I blacked out the bike was so I could forget about washing it. I wish the entire rim was black so I wouldn't even think about it. If I get annoyed enough, the spray paint can will come out.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Lots of those wheels available for next to nothing as take-offs. Get a set and have them black powder coated then next time you need tires...

·
Living for the ride
1,351 Posts
Lunker I clean my wheels good with HD wheel cleaner and then any stubborn spots I remove with OOO steel wool. Just a little elbow grease added.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts