V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stock Alloy wheels on a DYna ... They are the black and silver ones and now are pittting and the will not come clean no matter what?????

Please help me clean my wheels

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
If they are pitted then there isn't much you can do except polish them. The pits are the brake dust eating into the wheels. I use Simple Green to clean mine and it seems to do a more than decent job.

later,
KrustyTC

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
I found for cleaning my wheels and for that matter even aluminum cases. (use to detail old triumphs) I use Eagle #1 It's auto aluminum mag cleaner. They have 3 types. But Eagle #1 is for aluminum wheels that don't have a clear coat on them. You just spray it on and it doesnt harm your paint or chrome. It will foam up white and then just wash it off with a hose. Cases clean up like they just came out of their mold. Providing you degreased them before this application. On the wheels, after washing them off and then drying. I use (not sure of the spelling) Zephor 40. I green cream polsh. You can apply this polish in the sun. It turns white like mothers polish. but isn't a mother to get off. Actually it comes off with ease. This polish will bring the aluminum back to a chrome like finish.
On the (smooth) black painted area of my mags. I use a HD product. Its the #2 plexi glass polish. I use it as a polishing compound. It will bring the black back to looking like you cleared these sections of your wheels.

zoood/ RJ

·
I love BIG headlights...
386 Posts
Eagle One is the best wheel cleaner I have used, I have the natural engine I use it to clean that as well, best thing I have found and it's cheap.

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Clear Coat Question on Stock Mags

zoood said:
I found for cleaning my wheels and for that matter even aluminum cases. (use to detail old triumphs) I use Eagle #1 It's auto aluminum mag cleaner. They have 3 types. But Eagle #1 is for aluminum wheels that don't have a clear coat on them.
Do the 2001 Dyna's with the mags have a clear coat on them? I would like to know before I try any remedies.

ride hard

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
sjpr13 said:
Do the 2001 Dyna's with the mags have a clear coat on them? I would like to know before I try any remedies.

ride hard
As far as I know. Non of the mags on any models have a clear coat on them. Honda did that to theirs, years back. Even if you use the Eagle one on a clear coated wheel. No harm will come to the clear coat. Eagle product do have #2 & #3 for clear coated wheels. But as i stated before. I don't believe they clear their wheels at all. To check it tho, in an area that one wouldnt see, like the lil edge at the tire bead area. Just take a lil aluminum polish on a cloth and rub it a little. if the rag gets black. The mag isnt clear coated.

zoood/RJ

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I'll second simple green. I have a Night train and the rear wheel was going to hell.
Tried a couple of products - Sprayed on some simple green and used some fine steel wool - Not like new... but I'm happy with the results.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stock Wheel Polish

I also have the stock black and alum. mags on my bike. The key is keeping them clean...however; if they do get stained, or pitted, you may be able to clean them up. Try any good metal polish..ie..Mothers, Blue Magic, or even the H-D metal polish. Clean them good, then start polishing. I have spent 2-3 hours polishing my mags to a good shine. If your rims are in bad shape it could take longer. Try whatever flavor of polish on a small spot first. You can also use very fine steel wool(0000), or sand paper(very fine grit) on the worst spots. Again, test each method first. Then, Keep them clean.....Good Luck....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts