V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
poor scooter trash
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do you clean your K&N stage 1 Harley filter?

I know with K&N's the dirt build up is suppose to help with filtering. On my truck they said every 50k to 100k with the K&N I had on it.
I have just started my own maintenence so I wasnt sure how long its been since it was cleaned by the dealer if ever.

I have an 04 Roadking with 25k on it with the stage 1 filter set up. I has been "puking" alot lately from start off and I replaced the plugs and it still did it so I pulled off the air filter and inspected it. It didnt look that dirty but I cleaned it anyways and it seems to have helped. I was just wondering how often you guys clean yours.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Once a year, about every 10K miles, unless I was riding in a dust storm, them every 5K miles.

·
Smoke tires, not drugs.
46 Posts
It's only one bolt to pull the cover off, so I would just pull the cover and check it every couple thousand miles. I have seen some really dirty filters after only 5k miles, so just check it once in a while, and clean it accordingly.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went to the bigger Ness stage 2 filter (exactly same construction as K&N), on my stage 1 train, flows more air than I need when clean, and allows for a little clogging. I'll probably go 10,000 miles between cleans.

WB

·
Banned
871 Posts
I use the K&N filters for the S&S air cleaners (the only carb I'll use). I have been using the same filter for almost 7 years on one bike. I just clean and re-oil it every year, or more often when I'm riding out in the southwest. It's meant to last a lifetime if it's properly serviced. :)

Are your plugs fouling? If so, you might want to stop using the enricher, or only use it for a few seconds. It's not really needed unless the temps are very, very cold. Have you had your bike on a dyno lately? You might just need a good tuneup.

·
Registered
280 Posts
How would you clean the filter without buying the K&N kit? In the sink like a dinner plate? How about oiling. Some 10w30 diluted with a bit of gasoline sprayed thru a plant mister? I have this stuff, why buy another kit.

·
poor scooter trash
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Ill check it every once in a while. I know it helped it hasnt puked since I cleaned it so that must have been what it was. I also changed the plugs before I cleaned it because thats what I though it mght be also but it didnt help...but they needed it anyways. Im glad Im doing my own service now....now Ill know whats been done and what hasnt. The way it was puking I dont think the filter has ever been cleaned through all the dealer serviceing.

·
Banned
871 Posts
ratrider said:
How would you clean the filter without buying the K&N kit? In the sink like a dinner plate? How about oiling. Some 10w30 diluted with a bit of gasoline sprayed thru a plant mister? I have this stuff, why buy another kit.
I buy the kit. I have a good source where I can get them for under 10 bucks. I will do this until I can find out what's in their cleaner and oil. I probably don't need to clean it as often as I do, but at only $10 for a good, clean air filter, it's well worth it to me. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I go about every 6 K on the filter cleaning.. Several years ago I was out on a long ride and the filter choked the air to where at low RPM's the engine would die.. Got home removed plugs, wires.. etc.. and the last thing to check.. the filter.

--If you ain't waken the dead, its not loud enough!

RedWhite&Loud

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
rinse with water?

I ve heard that some dealers only rince out the KN with water and then fan dry, and if they must, spray a light once over mist of oil (from kit).

Another one says oil fouls the sensors use only the paper one's.

They both work well enough is my understanding, just keep em clean. Easy enough to look at it while Im tinkering around the bike. Helps me relax to do the simple and mondane things in life. But enough about me.,

·
'04 FXSTDI
906 Posts
nessus said:
I was told by a dealer that they use simple green
Simple Green works well. I ran out of the KN cleaner last time I was cleaning mine so I gave SG a shot. Worked great.
BTW, I remember reading that the oil is vegetable based (corn oil?) and that the red color is added so you can ensure proper coverage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts