V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had read a Thunderpress article on lighting and it mentioned cleaning the inside of the bulb shell by wiping it out. The reflector appears to be plastic. It is very difficult to clean this. Does anyone know if rinsing in alcohol would harm it? Did a wipe with a micro fiber rag and it did make a difference. Article mentioned something about the H4 bulb putting a film on the inside of the enclosure.

Thanks

Tsani

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

Tsani

·
Registered
224 Posts
Beware of using chemicals!

I can speak from personal experience as I just spent $95 to replace my headlight reflector on my Road King. My aftermarket blue H4 bulb caused a partial melt of the connector which put a smoke film inside my reflector. I used Windex which removed some of the silver reflective coating which ruined the appearance of the reflector. I would use only mild soap and water followed by drying with a soft cloth. Just jam the cloth in the hole until the reflector is filled and turn it, it will get the inside spic and span.

By the way, I took off the rest of the melted connector and I am just running the electrical connectors straight to the buld leads. I know there are heavy duty connectors out there, I might invest in one. Anybody have any comments about running the connectors straight to the bulb leads instead of encasing them in the plastic connector? My opinion is that the wires are heavy enough in gauge to support the electrical load.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As an electrician, I can tell you that the purpose of the plastic connector shell is only for alignment and additional support, it has nothing to do with the current carrying capability of the wires. Just don't forget what wire goes where.

Tsani

1 - 7 of 7 Posts