V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm getting pretty frustrated trying to clean the wheels on my brand new Fat Boy.

I've seen the problem posted many times in the past, but I've yet to find an answer to the question.

Rear wheel, brake side. The mess must come from brake dust attacking the aluminum on the wheel. It?s black in color. I can?t feel it. It?s like it?s already become one with the aluminum. There are also many white discolored spots that run around the wheel as well. Both the black stuff and the white spots are concentrated on the widest flat part of the wheel and then above it in the corner right under all of the holes that go around the wheel as it turns from the polished aluminum to the cast aluminum.

I?ve tried simple green, soap and water, Flitz, denatured alcohol you name it.

PLEASE! Does anyone have the answer to cleaning these bad boys?

As soon as money affords, I?m getting them chromed. Then I won?t ever have to worry about it again.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
278 Posts
alluminum alloy wheel cleaner from eagle was always good for kenisis
rims....i use S 100 now and toch up with mothers alluminum polish

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't offer much advice for how to clean your wheels, although I would try lacquer thinner. Thats what I use to cut through all kinds of stuff on my Bike and cars. Once you get them clean, put a good coat or two of Sharkhide metal protectant on them and from then on, no matter how much brake dust or salt spray you get on the wheels, you just clean with soap and water and chamois off. The shine will be protected for years. Good luck, I know how much it sucks trying to keep raw aluminum in good shape!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Praetorian, what S-100 product do you use on your wheels? Does it totally clean all that gunk off those wheels? When there's snow on the ground and I can't ride my scoot, I am a nut about detailing. I want those suckers as clean as possible.

Clint, thanks for the tip. I've heard some good things about that Sharkhide product. The Flitz that I bought did a good job at cleaning/polishing the wheels, just not a great job. The crap is still there, just not as bad as before.

I can't belive Harley doesn't sell a product to clean these wheels. I know that they know there is a problem with brake dust, etc. on the Fat Boy wheels. If they can't provide a product that can stand up to brake dust, then you would think they would at least recommend or sell a product that could clean them.

Hopefully someone can offer a few suggestions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm working with Lori Carver, a young lady at Harley Davidsons "New Products Devision". She is supposed to be getting ready to start both lab and field test's on Sharkhide very soon. I'm not concerned one bit about passing all their tests (I'm that confident in Sharkhides performance) but it's just taking forever for them to get started. And untill we get them to start using Sharkhide, guys like you are having fits keeping their stuff looking good. If they were to apply it at the factory level, all you would do is keep it washed off, the shine would be there almost forever. Once every few years, you would apply another coat of Sharkhide and your good to go for several more years. I've been sending Sharkhide to V-Rod owners for some time now and they love the stuff. Oh well, all I can do is hurry up and wait! See ya, Clint

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Terry, You can call 618-624-4091 and place an order. The Sharkhide will leave that day. It sells for $35.00 per quart (that wil last you two life times) plus any UPS charges. See ya, Clint

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Terry, I forgot to mention, there are some posts about Sharkhide on this site in the "VRSC Motorcycle Family General Discussions" forum.

·
Registered
278 Posts
standard S-100 cleaner let it sit for a few and wash off with a washing mit.... if you have tuff grime....you want to do it again...then polish...a soft tire brush works....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Man...the EASIEST way to clean those wheels is with Engine Degreaser from your local Automotive Store. QUICK and EASY. Ride your bike up to the pressure washer/car wash and once you get there spray your wheels generously with the foamy engine degreaser. Smoke a cigarette and let the stuff sit for a few minutes (or just sit and watch it for a few minutes if you don't smoke) then use the high pressure spray to spray them off!!! That's it. Worked WONDERS on my wheels that had NEVER been cleaned in 3 years. They look NEW now.

·
Registered
985 Posts
From a FB owner,
If you've tried Flitz and it doesn't work, then you bought the wrong stuff or you're just not applying it right.
It comes in a few different forms, I use the blue paste.
Take this for what it's worth, I ride in an ocean spray/salt air environment, and Flitz works on aluminum, period.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
FLITZ is the only thing out of the 45 things that I have tried that works at all and it works very well. the stuff you want is actually called metal polish, glass and paint restorer or something like that but read the label and you'll get the right stuff. they have a website to get info and even free samples i think...just search for "FLITZ"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try "Gunk", seems to work better if everything is pretty warm, but I wouldnt let it sit on the bike in direct sunlight. Works for me anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have a fatboy and had same problem. S-100 and a high pressure hose works fine. Keep stream AWAY from wheel bearings. You'll save yourself some problems later on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts