V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you use? I think I read somewhere that it's not good to use glass cleaner on a motorcycle windshield, but I'm not sure what I can use.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I never use anything other than a big soft towel soaked in warm water. Soak the towel in hot water, wring it out and drape it over the windshield for ten minutes.....melts (well OK, it softens) the bugs. Then use the other side of the towel to scrub the stubborn ones and keep everything wet. Just keep it wet and wipe. Dry with something soft and clean. There are cheaners out there that I'm sure somebody will tell you about but as long as you keep after it regularly, there is no need to risk using a cleaner.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
LiquiTech sells some window cleaner that I use. Works good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have seen people use pledge and WD40...go figure. I use the plexus on mine and it seems to clean and polish the shield very well it also helps the rain to run off.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This is probably a stupid question..........but, can you use rainx on the windshild? Just wondering. J.T.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have heard that rain x is not good on plastic windshield. It takes off the protective coating. I always use lemon pledge....I also just bought the honda polish/cleaner and it works super!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Some cleaners, for example windex, will cause a H/D windshield to discolor.

IMHO, the plexus suggestion is a good one. You can use any cleaner or polish that is designed for the "plastic" type of windshields we have. Avoid using the cleaners in gas stations because they often have chemicals in the water that will contribute to windshield discoloration. Once it starts, you can never get the windshield to be clear again.

FYI, using ST-100 and a soft clothe will definitely clean your windshield and you can use the ST-100 on the rest of the bike as well. And you can NEVER go wrong with just using some soft soft and warm water.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rain-X

I was told by a tech at Rain-X that they don't recommend their product on non-glass surfaces. But I have heard of some folks using it without problems on things like eyeglass lenses. Best thing to do I guess is try it on a small section first to see if anything strange happens.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Hoss said:
I always use lemon pledge....
Hoss,

thanks for the tip. I just scored a box of individually packaged lemon pledge wipes at costco.

wyo

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Nothing but novus. I have a buddy that put 180K on his Beemer, the glass looked new, he told me about Novus. 2 parts, 1 Cleaner, 2 polish. Use a cheesecloth.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If your windshield gets a few light I mean real light scratchs or stains u can go to a paint supply house and see if they sell a product call 1500s manufactured by dupont and use a high speed buffer and if u can use a buffer u can take almost all scratchs NOT CRACKS and stains out. after u use the 1500s or an equal quality product lightly buff the shield with a glaze compound and the shield will look brand new AS LONG AS IT AINT CRACKS. I have done this to alot of windshields and to the light bars ontop of like firetrucks in the small town we lived in ,they didnt have the money for new and they came out great they where made of the same product ... good luck and hope this might help....

·
Registered
56 Posts
windshield cleaners

Don't use any cleaners that have ammonia or alcohol in them, it will damage the protected coating on the lexan, personaly I just use warm water and a soft cotton cloth. Also never use Novus #2 plastic scratch remover, it also will remove the coating on the lexan.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: windshield cleaners

roadhog said:
Don't use any cleaners that have ammonia or alcohol in them, it will damage the protected coating on the lexan, personaly I just use warm water and a soft cotton cloth. Also never use Novus #2 plastic scratch remover, it also will remove the coating on the lexan.
Now you tell me about Novus #2....;-}. You are right...it sure does f--ck up the windshield and there ain't no going back either. I need to get a replacement one day soon.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
windshield cleaners

How do you think I know it will mess up a windshield, Harley recomends this crap in their parts book. I too found out the expensive way that's why I use nothing other than warm water, and you know what it works, so why do you need all the windsheild cleaning crap anyway. And another thing, DON'T USE SIMICHROME POLISH on chrome it will scratch chrome. It will polish metal if you use it on aluminum, nickel, copper, brass, stainless steel, but never on chrome, how do you think I know this, been there and done it, never again. Just hope others read this before they make the same mistake.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Plexus or Honda spray cleaner. You can use them on chrome and paint also. They work best with a micro fiber cloth.
The Honda spray cleaner is much cheaper, best stuff for the money you'll ever find.

ps. if you hang at HD dealers you can cut the label off with a sharp knife. LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts