2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(borrowed from another forum)

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2006/01/24/news/top_stories/03city24.txt

No law for noise reduction, city says
Council looks at drafting recommendation to be forwarded to Legislature

By: Michelle Miller, Journal Staff Writer
Monday, January 23, 2006 11:46 PM PST

After receiving 150 complaints from citizens and authorizing a lengthy investigation to find solutions, the Auburn City Council heard Monday that nothing could be done to lessen vehicle noise in the city short of petitioning the state Legislature for a change.

In May, 150 citizens signed a petition objecting to excessive noise from motorcycle exhaust systems and truck engine "Jake" brakes.

But there appears to be no law Auburn police can enforce to reduce motorcycle noise.

"In all the research we've done, unfortunately it's a vicious circle that has brought us back to the finding that Section 23130 that had made allowable to us additional enforcement tools was repealed in 2001," said Auburn Police Chief Valerie Harris

That vehicle code set limits for decibel readings on motorcycle noise. Now, loud after-market additions to exhaust systems, such as the "Screaming Eagle" parts, are legal to sell and use.

Jake brakes, however, are a safety issue for drivers and their use cannot be regulated.

Harris said she would support efforts to contact legislative branches and state agencies about the lack of a motorcycle noise law.

"We're not the first city and this won't be the last time someone will try to tackle this," said Dave Lawicka, Auburn motorcycle officer, who also investigated what could be done about the problem.

Mayor Mike Holmes recommended Harris work with interested parties to draft a recommendation that the council could forward to the state Legislature, perhaps working with neighboring foothills cities that have faced the same problem.

Some members of the public felt that the city hadn't done enough.

"When motorcycles come through on the weekend, it is miserable, not irritating," said Barbara Goehring, a resident of Aeolia Drive above Highway 49, who spoke at the meeting. "They rev their engines and you can't watch TV, you can't have a conversation, they wait until the light changes and make as much noise as they can."

Councilwoman Bridget Powers commended the members of the public who brought this issue to the council's attention.

"The reason we are here is because you asked us to take a look at it. I commend Chief Harris and Officer Lawicka for all their research that has got us here today," she said. "I live on the canyon and I hear all these noises. I also own and ride a motorcycle, but I practice quiet riding as much as possible."

In other business, the city council:

· Heard a quarterly investment report from Finance Director Andy Heath that shows portfolio yield is at the highest level in three years at 3.93 percent thanks to changes in investing.

· Applied for grant funds from the California Cultural and Historical Endowment for $360,000 to restore the Cooper Amphitheater at the Auburn School Park Preserve Project.

· Accepted the completion of system upgrades Auburn's cable provider, Starstream Communications, thereby lengthening their contract with the city by five years.

· Approved two retroactive three-percent raises for city firefighters.

The Journal's Michelle Miller can be reached at [email protected].

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
It's just a matter of time until the straight-pipe, handful-of- throttle, it's-my-right-to-make-as-much-noise-as-I-want-to guys get a bunch of new legislation enacted. It's coming.

I keep running across some of 'em in the Austin area....straight pipes, lots of throttle. I like some nice, mellow pipes, but these guys just piss people off.

Pogo.

T113

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
trooper113 said:
It's just a matter of time until the straight-pipe, handful-of- throttle, it's-my-right-to-make-as-much-noise-as-I-want-to guys get a bunch of new legislation enacted. It's coming.

I keep running across some of 'em in the Austin area....straight pipes, lots of throttle. I like some nice, mellow pipes, but these guys just piss people off.
You are correct, sir. This small percentage will ruin it for us all. Where will line be drawn between straight pipes, lots of throttle and the people who have some pipes that produce a little noise?

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yep. Just one percent of motorcyclists will ruin it for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
trooper113 said:

Pogo.

T113
Correct assessment Sir.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Loud pipes save.....what?

I've seen this coming for a long time. Citizens are fed up with loud pipes (and thoughtless riders).

NEWS FLASH:
Harley-Davisdon will soon end the sale of Screamin' Eagle Performance mufflers.

Don't believe this?
Just ask your dealer when he gets back from the Winter Dealer Meeting in Dallas. The MoCo understands the serious (read: government legislation) impact noisy bikes will have on their business, and are taking steps to control the problem.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Was talking with a local dealer about the noise crackdown in Malibu, Ca
and he was saying it may be sooner than later that they will no
longer install after market exhausts. Things are changing......

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Triple Z said:
The MoCo understands the serious (read: government legislation) impact noisy bikes will have on their business, and are taking steps to control the problem.
And what impact would more legislation in this area have on bike manufacturers? There already is govt. legislation to restrict the sale or modification of bikes that exceed a noise level and HD (like every other manufacturer) already complies. The only significant impact I can see to HD is if people stop buying new bikes because they can't have them sound the way they want due to increased enforcement. It matters little whether HD sells "illegal" pipes or not. It is possible they might discourage dealers from installing non-EPA exhausts for PR reasons. Really tough to enforce, though.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Triple Z said:
I've seen this coming for a long time. Citizens are fed up with loud pipes (and thoughtless riders).

NEWS FLASH:
Harley-Davisdon will soon end the sale of Screamin' Eagle Performance mufflers.

Don't believe this?
Just ask your dealer when he gets back from the Winter Dealer Meeting in Dallas. The MoCo understands the serious (read: government legislation) impact noisy bikes will have on their business, and are taking steps to control the problem.
Wow. Sounds like I've got a big decision to make in the future. Quiet Harley's with no power, or a BMW KT1200R or LT with tons of power, and more standard creature comforts. Looks ain't everything. Harley better wakedafukup.

·
Registered
434 Posts
timbo said:
Wow. Sounds like I've got a big decision to make in the future. Quiet Harley's with no power, or a BMW KT1200R or LT with tons of power, and more standard creature comforts. Looks ain't everything. Harley better wakedafukup.

There's no reason why an excellent performing and mellow, deep toned pipe can't be built. The after market car industry is doing it quite well.

·
Retired Air Force
339 Posts
trooper113 said:

Pogo.

T113

Yep. Small group will ruin it for the rest of us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts