V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 FXE the main circuit breaker connected to battery post is bad.I can't read any of the print on it worn off.My manual does not say if its a 15 amp or what.The other three are 15 amp breakers should this one 15 amp or 30 amp.Thanks for any help.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
If your manual has a wiring diagram, check there for the breaker size.
I beleive it is a 30 Amp for the main. Mind you, I do not have a '79 but a '93, (not a shovel obviously) but comparing it to my brothers '79 the wiring is almost identical.
If you do not have the parts book, you should get one. I know sombody here can tell you where. They still sell the original H-D on the internet somewhere. Might do a search, because I thought it was posted here somwhere.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Shovelheads usually used two sizes: 30 amp on the battery, 15 amps each on ignition, lights and accessory circuits. Don't go larger if at all possible. Those things actually work and only go bad occasionally.

·
Shithead
4,836 Posts
LittleBear said:
If you do not have the parts book, you should get one. I know sombody here can tell you where. They still sell the original H-D on the internet somewhere.
I just got one through the local HD dealer. $79, but they're always more expensive in Europe, should be less where you are.

The FX Parts Manual is a different book than the FL which I have, but I expect it's the same in that it lists only the part number for the circuit breaker, and not the capacity.

The Service Manual for 1978 1/2 - 1984 FL and FX models has wiring diagrams. The diagram for 1979 FXE shows the battery circuit breaker as a 30Amp unit, same as on my FLH.

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts