V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put a cigarette lighter plug on my V-Rod. I probably won’t use the plug all that much but if in the event that my cell phone battery needs to be charged it would be nice to have a way to do it. I don’t think that it would be to terribly difficult to wire up but I am not sure where is best to mount it. I do have a battery tender jr. on my bike. I have seen that Powerlet Products has some adapters that would fit on the battery tender and give me the cigarette lighter plug but I don’t think that it will look all that great.

I have thought maybe I could attach it to the same bolt that holds the horn. I am not really sure if there is enough room in that area. I am also somewhat concerned of engine heat in that spot. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Beermaker.
Powerlet Products

·
Registered
122 Posts
I needed three outlets on my bike. I ran a fused power line from the battery, down the left side of the air cover, under the seat (beneath the metal plate) and into the left saddle bag. I terminated that in a standard ligheter socket. I spliced into the line at the junction between the airbox and the seat and added a 2-wire polarized automotive connector. I did the same 6 inches off of the battery. All of this is fused at 10 amps. Nothing is visible.

The front connector is used to power my GPS.
The back lighter plug is for the occasional date with the power tender.
The plug under the seat is for whatever might pop up in the future (i.e. electric vest)

Total cost ~ $10.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you just sit the outlet under the seat or have you come up with a way to secure it? The one 6 inches off of the battery did you just leave that under the louver? Do you have any pictures? I tried just sitting an outlet (not wired up) under the seat but could not find a spot that the seat would close. I was also worried that if I just ran the wire between the seat and the air box cover that it would get some extra wear and I would have problems down the road.

I had not even thought about the GPS. I just figured it would have to run on AA batteries.

Thanks in advance
Beermaker

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would like to see any pics that you have of the gps. I was thinking of a way to put a small removable lcd monitor inside of the windshield that I could switch from gps to a rear facing camera. My shoulders are pretty wide and I have a hard time seeing anything in the mirrors. I have yet to find the equipment. Everyone can dream.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The connection point up front uses the small automotive type connector and fits under the louver nicely. The GPS (Garmin GPS V) is mounted with a RAM mount. (www.gpscity.com) I'll try to get some pics posted for you over the weekend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up using a Jasteck kit for tank bags. They made a custom length fused cable that I ran to the back following the wires that HD ran to the back. I put their tank bag kit into my left leather saddle bag. I did have to modify the kit (slightly) on the outside for the saddle bag mount. I also had to mill down an interior metal support on the inside. It now looks like the plug came with the bike. It is also hidden until it is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts