V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can I poll the group, for those that have changed to these bars, did you have to extend the wiring?

Chubby says you can unravel extra wiring inside the nacelle, is that true?

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unsure on those...I'm putting the Chubby 502's on my '02 FLHR-I and I know all my cables will have to be custom made...they're about 8" over standard. Also something thats not in print (except on the sticker on the bars themselves) Wild1inc recommends going with 1 piece clamp (getting rid of the stock 2 piece) on Roadkings...don't know about others...

T-Bone

·
Registered
61 Posts
I installed the 518's on my '03 FLHRCI. Extended the wires about 8". Installed all braided lines, stock clutch cable length, 2"over on the throttle cables and upper brake line.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, while this is still fresh in my head.

- remove headlight, nacelle, handlebar clamp shroud
- loosen idle throttle/idle cables
- put cardboard at brake lever, loosen right controls clamps, upper/lower halves, remove clamp, pull off idle/throttle cables from right controls
- unplug right controls wires at harness side and put aside right controls with wires
- repeat for left side, unplug left handlebar controls from harness. Leave clutch lever assembly on fuel tank
- if changing rubber bushings for urethane, remove riser bolt now, from bottom. You have to turn bars full left/right to reach the bolts (3/4). There are 2 bushings on each side, one goes in from top one from bottom, 4 in all
- the bushings just pull off, spray some silicone lube on the new ones and push them in, grunting might help

*** Once you remove the handlebar you cannot remove the riser bolts because the riser will just spin round and round ***
*** The HD manual has no instructions on removing/installing bars, I tightened the riser bolts to 30ft/lbs ***

- remove handlebar clamps, and handlebar, remove left grip from handlebar
- remove wires from deutsch connectors (easy, read the manual), and cut, splice, solder and heatshrink all 6 wires on each side (12 total). Stagger the cuts so it doesn't bulge at one place
- feed a slightly stiff strong wire through the bars and pull the wires through the bars from the tips to the center, repeat for other side
- reinstall handlebar on bike and bolt on lever assemblies on both sides
- adjust handlebar for comfort and snug down clamp screws

--- here's where I stopped, after working for about 10 hours, with lunch/dinner breaks in btw. 4 hours to change bars? Yeah right.

Tomorrow I'll change the idle/throttle cables to longer ones and leave the clutch cable for now. You have to bend the brake line to make it fit, your fingers will not be strong enough, use a plier and cover the line with a cloth. You can also push severe bends straight by using your palm as a fulcrum.

Anyway, what I want to say is, for a first time weekend wrench, be prepared to spend some time on this project, it may take 1 or 2 days.

And I'm not even changing the clutch cable, which involves removing the whole exhaust and changing the tranny fluid.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
hlpsg, you can run your stock throttle/idle cables outside of the nacelle and they will work. I have 39 inch beach bars on my bike and did it that way. If you need extra clutch lenght, you can run it between the frame down tubes to get the extra length. I did that, too. If you want to change the cable, no need to take of exhaust. You can take out the right muffler support bolts and loosen the clamp around the transmission end. With this done, you can pull the exhaust just a smidge. This will allow you to us ball socket hex keys to take out the tranny end cover bolts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ques on 508's vs 518's. I saw the compare on Wild 1's, but who has 518's or 508's and why did you do with them? I noticed the 508's seem to come back further. Any of you guys but them on your FKHRCI? My 03 RKC is due at the end of this month, and I need to make a decision on the bars (as I get 30% off access and 10% off labor on all access purchased before delivery of the bike.) Also I got the bike for $1k over, but no set-up or delivery fee BS ($19005 +TTL w/ security sys.):D

·
Registered
688 Posts
everyone is commenting on the 508's and 518's, What about the 517's? They are narrower at 31 inches I believe and pullback is same as 508's and same rise as 518's? I'm trying to get away from the wide arm stance. I would like to hear about the 517 setups also if anyone has them. While at their site I saw the blurb about the one piece clamp also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xxxflhrci said:
hlpsg, you can run your stock throttle/idle cables outside of the nacelle and they will work. I have 39 inch beach bars on my bike and did it that way. If you need extra clutch lenght, you can run it between the frame down tubes to get the extra length. I did that, too. If you want to change the cable, no need to take of exhaust. You can take out the right muffler support bolts and loosen the clamp around the transmission end. With this done, you can pull the exhaust just a smidge. This will allow you to us ball socket hex keys to take out the tranny end cover bolts.
Thanks for the tip on changing the clutch cable, the stock one worked for now, so I'll just leave it till my next service, I've already bought a Barnett to replace the stock.

Anyway I finished changing everything today. I ran into some difficulties because when I removed the idle cable, there was something plugged into a section of it! What do these wires connect to?

The 518s were just right for me, I only took a short ride because my back was killing me, but it felt like riding another bike. Have to thank my great wife who was such a great help, helping me splice/solder all the wires, putting locktite on screws, setting the torque wrench for me, getting me drinks, etc. etc., never complained although it got frustrating at times.

Its not a good idea to do this when you need the bike to go to work the next day! Glad its done!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Texex91 said:
Ques on 508's vs 518's. I saw the compare on Wild 1's, but who has 518's or 508's and why did you do with them? I noticed the 508's seem to come back further. Any of you guys but them on your FKHRCI? My 03 RKC is due at the end of this month, and I need to make a decision on the bars (as I get 30% off access and 10% off labor on all access purchased before delivery of the bike.) Also I got the bike for $1k over, but no set-up or delivery fee BS ($19005 +TTL w/ security sys.):D [/QUOTE

I'm 1.78m and the 518s were just nice for me, 508s would have been too much pullback and I'd have to ride the bike with a dip at the elbows. I like to ride with arms almost stretched full and even with the 508s I still have some room to spare, more if I rotated the bars more towards me. There is no way to put these bars on without lengthening your wires though, Chubby lied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts