V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering doing a chrome wheel exchange to my 01 RK. It has the cast wheels. Has anyone heard of or had good or bad experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ron, in my opinion, $400 apeice for plating wheels and then giving no warranty on the plating just ain't something a sane guy would jump on. Plating steel is one thing, but getting chrome to stay on aluminum is something else, particularly cast aluminum. That's why there are so many sporty 1200 customs with the chrome flaking off the factory rear wheel. Also, when someone brags to make the point that they grind off all the rough cast areas instead of machining in the case of the solid fatboy type wheels, I can only assume its because they prefer to spend 6 bucks an hour for unskilled labor instead of dropping a quarter million for an Okuma CNC wheel lathe. Or maybe they think folks like the look of a handful of balance weights which are there to take care of the wheel imbalance and not the tire in most cases. In any event, go with someone who will stand behind their work for at least a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Easy there, metlmunchr. They did a great job on my Deuce rear wheel, and I'm pretty picky about wheel quality - prior to my current job I spent 8 years as an engineer at an automotive aluminum wheel plant (installed 14 manufacturing lines, each with 2 of those Okuma CNC wheel lathes, BTW). I've never heard anything bad about the quality of their work from anyone who used them (although their customer relations apparently aren't always so good), and I couldn't find any place offering better pricing, either.

No flames intended, and you're certainly welcome to your opinion, it just seemed like you came down on them awful hard for not having even seen their work. Figured I better get my opinion out there, too, since I have.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have heard recommendations for the Chromethathog company- gonna send them an inner primary next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts