V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my bike away for the winter in the shed. Battery is in bike and on a charger. Crystal-like corrosion is forming on my Performance Machine chrome front wheeel. Is it pitting? Can it be buffed out. What the F**k is it. Why is it here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you are real close to the coast you're more than likely to have issues with salt corrosion. You might be able to remove the light pitting with a good chrome cleaner. It's possible that the pitting will reappear in time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's some sort of electro-chemical reaction

I'm not a genius on this since my only chemical skills involve various alcohols and fruit juices but that's why my tech told me not to run a battery tender here on the island. I'm a mainland transplant and learning little tricks on the island like to take out the restrictive thermostat on the oil cooler since in winter, we see low 70s.

The advice is to seal all the exposed metal with carnuba wax - easy for me to say when I open the can and the wax is almost like vaseline. I remember the same wax looked like a hockey puck in the northwest.

Did you pull the battery and bring it inside the house?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts