V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice on chrome switch housings and controls?
Aftermarket ok or stick with HD?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done 3 bikes with HD chrome controls and had great luck. The only non HD has been the levers and they didn't have a chrome pivot bolt. Be really careful when removing the old switches, the stems pull out of the housing and those little sob's are big bucks (50 bucks for the volume control) :coffee:

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I took all my handlebar stuff off as well as front end, calipers, nuts, bolts even swing arm and sent them to Chromemasters. They do an excellent job at a good price which is a fraction of h-d prices plus you don't have a duplicate of parts laying around.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I agree with the Dennish plan; BUT, carefully prepare the 'threaded areas' of parts to be chromed -- I've learned the hard way that not all chromers 'tape' over the threads and one ends up with a real PIA when re-installing chromed parts..... just my experience.
Good luck whichever you choose it'll be great.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I was on ebay and found new switch covers etc about half price but they are not HD. Just wondering if any one bought "lesser priced ones".

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
OEM switchgear is tested and developed to work in all environments and failure can result in NHTSA action. IME OEM switch gear is always the way to go for reliable functionality. Custom, show bikes or specialized applications are a different story. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I have a set of OEM chrome switches, never opened for Ultra with radio and cruise if your interested. 20.00 plus a couple bucks shipping

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I have a set of OEM chrome switches, never opened for Ultra with radio and cruise if your interested. 20.00 plus a couple bucks shipping
PM sent ....

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cheap ones on EBay. I got a set and the castings are off a bit, I had to shim switches for them to have complete movement. It was a HUGE PITA!!!!! I will only buy HD from now on.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the cheap ones on EBay. I got a set and the castings are off a bit, I had to shim switches for them to have complete movement. It was a HUGE PITA!!!!! I will only buy HD from now on.
Agree. I have a set of the Custom Chrome on my Heritage. They have been on the bike for many years and have held up well but the install was a real pain. Here's what i will do the next time i want chrome. Buy some cheap OEM take-off parts on Ebay or whereever and then send them off to one of these places like Chromemasters. You may pay a little more than what the cheap stuff costs but you'll have OEM quality parts with show quality chrome. If you are not worried about down-time then you can just send in your own parts. Otherwise, you can just sell your black parts once the chrome parts are installed.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The ones I've seen that weren't HD that were cheaper were pretty crappy.

You can pay more for better quality, but the cheap stuff is just that... the cheap stuff.

Background... I wrenched for 4 years. Seen a lot of parts.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
The ones I've seen that weren't HD that were cheaper were pretty crappy.

You can pay more for better quality, but the cheap stuff is just that... the cheap stuff.

Background... I wrenched for 4 years. Seen a lot of parts.
I agree, usually get what you pay for. However, I've got some Custom Chrome stuff on my Heritage that's been there for about 6 years and still looks great. The only problem i had was the install. The swithes were binding in the housings and it took me forever to get that solved. I would not buy them again for that reason. However, as far as looks they have held up well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I help a guy install the Kuryakyn switch housings and the fit and finish was as good as my Harley ones , they are priced less than HD but more than the ebay ones

·
Registered
235 Posts
Silver spray paint. $3 a can from WallyWorld. Works great and you can do about 50 bikes on one can.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Dont get them used or rechromed, odds are not in your favor that they will match up. Some shops dont care about your taste or there chrome works.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts