V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Wicked!
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm look'n for this rotor. Can anyone tell me where I can get a front and rear rotor like this for a 2000 and up softail. This rotor here is for a 99 and down. I asked the seller and he didn't know.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
adlerx said:
maybe I'm mistaken, but none of those looks like floaters to me??
no, no floaters here. floaters have a partial centerpiece that is bolted to the outer rotor ring. these bolts allow the inner and outer rings of the rotor to move or "float" due to any warped pads, rotor, riding conditions etc. the bolts have a sleeve that acts as a bearing sorta and allow side 2 side movement for the rotor against the inner ring and vice versa.
very nice concept. especially for some that are hard on rotors. though i have never used any i will definitely look into them this winter for an improved brake stance.

sorry carrie, yours doesn't look like the floaters i have seen. so i am not saying yours is not a floater as i have no personal experience on my bike.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
Carrie said:
I'm look'n for this rotor. Can anyone tell me where I can get a front and rear rotor like this for a 2000 and up softail. This rotor here is for a 99 and down. I asked the seller and he didn't know.

may want to check out PM brake and rotor manufaturing. they have some that resemble that i believe.

·
Registered
927 Posts
dashooter,

I always wondered what was actually "floating", as it can't float in the direction of rotation or it wouldn't stop anything! side to side makes sense though, for the reason you stated. Do you know how much side to side play there is on a floating rotor, and do they ever get harmonics / vibration troubles?

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Quieter and smoother, a huge upgrade for such small money, you can get floaters that resemble stock for about $70 apiece, couple em with some lyndall -Z pads and you got a big brake upgrade!

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
Some Guy said:
dashooter,

I always wondered what was actually "floating", as it can't float in the direction of rotation or it wouldn't stop anything! side to side makes sense though, for the reason you stated. Do you know how much side to side play there is on a floating rotor, and do they ever get harmonics / vibration troubles?
minimal side to side. this is designed to take away the vibration issues. like i said, i have no personal experience, only what i've read and seen.

·
Registered
454 Posts
floaters

Haven't ridden with floating rotors on an HD, but both of my BMW's and my Buell had 'em. The brakes on those bikes are phenomenal, but obviously it's not an apples to apples comparison.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts