V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of chroming up my V-Rod, and I just got the chrome rear axle nut covers. Part #45621-02. I'd like to install them myself, but I have a couple of questions first:

1) Do I need to compress or clamp the rear spring at all before removing the bolt that attaches the rear shock to the belt guard? I'm used to working on cars where you definitely need a spring compressor before you mess with the shocks, etc.

2) How the heck do I remove the right side bolt? It looks as if the bolt will run right into the upper exhaust pipe before it will clear the bottom end of the shock. Do I need to remove the pipes first? If so, this seems like a lot of work just to install a decorative piece.

Thanks in advance for any help on these items.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The best thing to have for this job is a jack; you'll need to lift the bike off the ground enough to get all the weight off the shocks. The simple side, yes, is the left side, just remove the bolt and pull the shock up fit on the cover and push the shock back in position and insert the bolt.

Now the right side, you'll have to remove the slip on mufflers which is fairly simple, just loosen the two claps that cover the muffler on the collector once loosen (of course do this when the bike is cool) shoot a little WD40 on the side next to the collector. Wait about 3-5 minutes; while you are waiting there is an allen head bolt on a bracket below the lower muffler that need to be removed. Once the bolt is removed, holding the lower muffler to the bracket, then get on the rear of the mufflers and wiggle the mufflers up and down while pulling on them. They should slide off fairly easy. They are a little heavy so be careful, not to drop them. Then the same procedure; loosen the bolt on the bottom of the shock pull shock up and reinstall bolt. If you need torque specs let me know and I'll get my shop manual out.

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Banned
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VA V-Rod... I really appreciate the info. I've found that tips like yours make all the difference between a good job and a frustrating (and potentially dangerous) experience.

I guess I was looking for a good excuse to invest in a bike lift and a torque wrench...

Thanks again.

Drew

1 - 3 of 3 Posts