V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace the primary on my 2004 FLHT with a chrome one. How difficult of an install is this? Does not look too bad in the manual, but it can be deceiving. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks

Dave

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I would advise that you go to a craft store and buy a very cheap piece of styrofoam, draw the primary cover bolt pattern on it, and then as you remove the bolts just push them into the styrofoam.

Make sure the case is absolutely clean and smooth before installing the new primary.

Run all bolts down hand tight or just bottom them with a socket/allen/torx bit..and then progessively snug them down using a correct pattern...and then final torque using the same pattern. Proper torque is CRITICAL to avoid smashing the gasket.

A very easy job but just take your time.

Good luck.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Do a search in twin cam 88 section, where you should have posted this. You will encounter more people that have done it then in general talk.

Its not hard. You have to loosen inner primary. Manual says not to use impact. I used 2' cheater bar. 1 1/2 socket.

Clutch is reverse threads.
Clean threads very good before locktiteing again.

Theres a few good threads on this, do search. Not to be a dick, but there have been some could discussions.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
steveusmc said:
I would advise that you go to a craft store and buy a very cheap piece of styrofoam, draw the primary cover bolt pattern on it, and then as you remove the bolts just push them into the styrofoam.

k.
Or you could buy a manual. Its listed plain as day. Plus, I am curious if you could even swap the bolts if your tried. I never tried, I got a manual, but I wouldn't be surprised, if the long ones are to lone for the short holes, and short bolts won't reach. Never tried.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
The main hangout. Grab a 'drink' and converse about anything concerning HD bikes. Opinions, interests, questions. Talk about it here. **NO TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE, PLEASE POST IN THE APPROPRIATE TECH FORUM**

why was the thread on Yamaha being competition for HD moved, and nobody moves tech threads? Not enough mods know where to put them? The ones that do, don't read general?

Used to be you would get snubed for posting in tech in general. I honestly think the person has a better chance at getting a correct answer in tech forum.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts

·
Banned
21,644 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Beserker,

Will move the thread to Twin Cam 88 forum. Just replacing the outer not the inner primary at the moment.

Dave

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
If you plan on swapping the bolts for chrome I suggest getting a tap and die and cleaning the threads before installing. Sometimes the chrome beads up on the threads and it's real easy to strip the hole-threads....

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
berserker said:
Or you could buy a manual. Its listed plain as day. Plus, I am curious if you could even swap the bolts if your tried. I never tried, I got a manual, but I wouldn't be surprised, if the long ones are to lone for the short holes, and short bolts won't reach. Never tried.
Since 2 of your comments are: "I never tried" maybe it would be a good idea for dschoemaker to use some BASIC good maintenance practices....or maybe he could do it your way and run the long bolts into the short holes and strip the threads...or maybe the short ones into the long ones and just grip with a thread or 2.

Yes, a manual is the best way to go...but the vast majority of the manual instructions tell you to "make sure you NOTE where the long and short bolts go".

Yep...sure wouldn't want to get snubbed for putting something in the "wrong" room. As we all know, everyone always goes exactly by the rules in here and everything said is highly valuable information with zero USELESS stuff.

5 posts in 5 minutes?.....does that qualify as ;!pstwhore Just curious.

Hurry up and move this thread dschoemaker...or you might get snubbed. :xhere:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have the manaul and have read it, my question was really around how easy or difficult it is in real life and whether there were any tips or tricks people had.

Thanks

Dave

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
steveusmc said:
Since 2 of your comments are: "I never tried" maybe it would be a good idea for dschoemaker to use some BASIC good maintenance practices....or maybe he could do it your way and run the long bolts into the short holes and strip the threads...or maybe the short ones into the long ones and just grip with a thread or 2.

Yes, a manual is the best way to go...but the vast majority of the manual instructions tell you to "make sure you NOTE where the long and short bolts go".

Yep...sure wouldn't want to get snubbed for putting something in the "wrong" room. As we all know, everyone always goes exactly by the rules in here and everything said is highly valuable information with zero USELESS stuff.

5 posts in 5 minutes?.....does that qualify as ;!pstwhore Just curious.

Hurry up and move this thread dschoemaker...or you might get snubbed. :xhere:
I have had the outer primary off a few times. Manual shows which bolts go wear, very plane. IMO you can do what your saying, which is good if not shown so clear in the manual, but you are wasting time.

I don't think you would hurt anything just hand tightening them in. I will have it off this winter, and will check to see if the short ones even reach.

Outer primary is fairly easy. Takes the lonhest time to screw with getting the floorbaords off. I have done it with them on too. If I rememer correctly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts