V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace the outer primary on my 2004 FLHT with a chrome one. How difficult of an install is this? Does not look too bad in the manual, but it can be deceiving. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
798 Posts
Piece of cake. Get some nice chrome polished fastners while your at it. Use some blue locktite and torque to specs and your good to go. Dont forget to refill your primary with your favorite flavor fluid.:) I will be doing the same thing this winter, bought the whole chrome engine kit from HD and will also be getting my lower fork legs chromed too.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chrome fork legs will be the winter project. Being a chromaholic is dang expensive. Why did you get the whole engine kit? Is it a lot cheaper?

Dave

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
dschoemaker said:
Want to replace the outer primary on my 2004 FLHT with a chrome one. How difficult of an install is this? Does not look too bad in the manual, but it can be deceiving. Any tips or things to watch out for?

Thanks

Dave
If you can tie your shoes and chew bubble gum at the same time you'll be able to change it out without any problems. Don't over torque the screws and use new gaskets.

:wootdnc: :woohoo: :wootdnc:

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
While you have the cover off, it would be a good time to put the hydraulic automatic chain tensioner on.....about $125.00....-2$en#e-

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
1711tab said:
use new gaskets.

:
You don't have too. Many people don't. Many peole on this site, myself included, will tell you they have reused a few times.

If you are going to install new, try Cometic. Don't know if its better, but it sure looks beefy. Cometic has a good rep too

·
Banned
3,694 Posts

You don't have too. Many people don't. Many peole on this site, myself included, will tell you they have reused a few times.

If you are going to install new, try Cometic. Don't know if its better, but it sure looks beefy. Cometic has a good rep too.

If he's never done it before I was thinking better safe than sorry..

·
Registered
798 Posts
dschoemaker said:
Chrome fork legs will be the winter project. Being a chromaholic is dang expensive. Why did you get the whole engine kit? Is it a lot cheaper?

Dave
Because Im tired of keeping aluminum polished, chrome is much easier to keep clean and the chicks dig it:boobies: A dealer was selling the kit on ebay, I think I paid around $580.00

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442228415&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302290743&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374302290743&bmUID=1109725611462&bmLocale=en_US

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
1711tab said:
If he's never done it before I was thinking better safe than sorry..
1st time for everything. Weren't you the one saying you can chew bubble gum?

Sure doesn't hurt to replace, but you don't have too.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
berserker said:
1st time for everything. Weren't you the one saying you can chew bubble gum?

Sure doesn't hurt to replace, but you don't have too.
Yep and I stand put on replacing the gaskets too!

{salute( :spank: {salute(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts