V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to chrome my engine on my 2001 883 Custom.

I seen that I can but replacement parts for $1200 from Harley
But I also notice that they have Covers for the one side of the engine and tranny for around $100.

How good are these?
Installation??
What about the other side of the engine?

Any one have these and opinions please.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I'd pass on the covers. They sometimes rattle. Definitely hold water and let you motor corrode. If you can't afford to chrome, why not polish your aluminum. It'll look almost as good as chrome. The more you buff it, the more it shines. I buff alot of fork legs for guys that don't want to spring 300 bucks for chrome. They all seem happy.

·
What the %$#%!%# ?
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the best way to polish the engine and forks???

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
You have to strip the clear coat off with something like Aircraft Stripper. You can get it at most auto parts stores. Stripping off the clear is a good thing because it is gonna peel sooner or later. It is best to take the covers and forks off and machine buff 'em. You can try some thing like Mothers wheel polish and get a pretty good shine on the engine cases. The forks are kind of a brushed finish and need the machine buffing. Send 'em to me. I'll do 'em for about $50 and send 'em back. About a week turn around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That WILL NOT work because the 883 Custom has painted silver/gray cases..you'll have to spring for the chrome...BTW, I had chrome COVERS on my ElectraGlide for 8 years with NO PROBLEMS.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Over chroming can adversely affect the release of heat. Air cooled engines need to be able to get rid of the heat and covering the engine in chrome will not allow for such relief.

Don't do it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
eBay polished Aluminum

Here is what I am in the process of doing. I am collecting the parts from eBay (primary, cam and sprocket covers) that are up for auction. I am buying the parts that are the Aluminum (not painted/powdercoated) and then spending a little time polishing them myself with Mothers. I bought a Polished Aluminum Primary in PERFECT condition for $5 plus shipping for a total of $12.
The camside is all I have left and probably the most expensive piece, but these parts are pretty easy to find on eBay and you'll save a shitload of money.
Not to mention...you still have your original parts to revert back to if you ever choose to do so. Just my suggestion. All in all...cost will be around $100-150 for these 3 covers from eBay.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Didn't know 883 Customs were covers were painted. How cheap can the Motor Company get? ..............KSIMS you want that stuff machine polished?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Trade up to a new 03 (already chromed) sportster.... and make it a 1200C..... YOU will be Happier in the LOng run!! Waste of time and money to work over an 883 just for a chrome engine...apperance

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.