V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering putting on the chrome lower fork sliders or chrome front end kit on my FLHRC.

Just wondering why you don't see many photos of scoots that have their front lower forks chrome?

Is there a reason why not or is because everyone would rather spend their $ on other things like exhaust, engine mods, etc. first? :hmmm: :unsure:

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
chrome legs

maybe you're not looking hard enough...that's one of the first major things i've done (on any bike i've kept) and most of the guys i ride with. Looking at the stock cast shitty legs & stock cowbells irks me too much 'cause HD is too cheap to do something like that from the factory...the bike should wear that chrome off the dealers' floor. Anyway...it adds a lot to the look of your bike. Lots of bling. I bought take off legs for cheap & had them chromed (no real down time) and got the HD cowbells and me & a buddy put it all on over a few beers on a saturday. I will say that Harley's chrome quality is top notch and probably a tad bit better than the job i had done, but it was probably half the cost and I did a bunch of other parts too. Do it.
Tim

·
?????
3,531 Posts
jober said:
I am considering putting on the chrome lower fork sliders or chrome front end kit on my FLHRC.

Just wondering why you don't see many photos of scoots that have their front lower forks chrome?
My dad and I both have chrome on our Ultra's. I think if you look around you'll find plenty more that have chrome lowers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, they look WAY better than stock. That being said, you've convinced me to do it.

What is the difference between HD's chrome fork lowers and the "kit" other than the kit includes a few other chrome nuts and small pieces.

Why would I buy the kit which includes chrome upper fork sliders when they are already chrome from the factory? Am I missing something here?

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Isn't the "kit" just the chrome lowers along with the cowbells, tins, etc? When I did my lowers I made the dumb mistake of not doing the tins and cowbells at the same time. So I needed to then pull the fender, wheel, forks all over again when I replaced the tins (about a month later). Dumb.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I like the looks of chromed front ends. But on my SG I like the raw machined look and exposed torx heads of the engine bolts(not one for chrome bling) However, HD could have done a better job on the finish of the stock lowers.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
jober said:
I agree, they look WAY better than stock. That being said, you've convinced me to do it.

What is the difference between HD's chrome fork lowers and the "kit" other than the kit includes a few other chrome nuts and small pieces.

Why would I buy the kit which includes chrome upper fork sliders when they are already chrome from the factory? Am I missing something here?
The stock (what I call Cowbells or beer cans) upper fork slider covers aren't actually chrome....maybe stainless? Nickeled metal? Anyway, if you don't get the chrome ones you'll regret it as the tone/color is way off the chrome part which will be way obvious when put back together. All the stock ones are is shiny...but NOT chrome. Get the kit or buy it in pieces but do it! Looks bitchen.
Tim

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Heres you a pic of chrome lower leggs . Booggerbe

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1bdBagr said:
The stock (what I call Cowbells or beer cans) upper fork slider covers aren't actually chrome....maybe stainless? Nickeled metal? Anyway, if you don't get the chrome ones you'll regret it as the tone/color is way off the chrome part which will be way obvious when put back together. All the stock ones are is shiny...but NOT chrome. Get the kit or buy it in pieces but do it! Looks bitchen.
Tim
Ok, you've got me convinced! {salute(

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
xxxflhrci said:
While you are at it, you might as well either polish your stock rotors or buy some polished ones.
Thats my exact set up :thumbsup: looks great

I got my chrome legs off of e-bay and they are awesome, if I do say so my self. I did make the mistake of thinking the cow bells were chrome until I put the lower legs next to them :yikes: and saw how dull they really were.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:thanks: for all the suggestions. I will definitely do the kit over just the lower sliders now, 80% sure I"m going to lower it, will add the SE fork oil.

Can't do the chrome calipers ($ is tight, can you believe they want $800 for them?) and I haven't won the powerball lotto yet. :laugh:

·
Registered
122 Posts
How hard are they to switch out on a 01 Eglide? I am not a great mechanic but I can read directions if it is not real tricky. Would you guys say it is pretty easy?

·
Winter SUCKS
1,353 Posts
Chrome legs have been a must for all my bikes. I agree with the previous poster the factory legs look like crap.
@gree: One of the first things I have done to every Harley I have owned.

While your at it, consider heavier folk oil. I put the screaming eagle brand in.
AWESOME advise. I just did this, and the change was remarkable to say the least! No more "nose diving" when braking.

While you are at it, you might as well either polish your stock rotors or buy some polished ones.
@gree: I replaced mine with polished ones. The polished rotors along with the chrome lowers - AWESOME change!

·
Registered
27 Posts
How hard are they to switch out on a 01 Eglide? I am not a great mechanic but I can read directions if it is not real tricky. Would you guys say it is pretty easy?
+1. I love working on my bike and can follow directions. Is changing these out too much to bite off if you're not a "mechanic"?

·
Registered
17 Posts
First thing I did on my 07 Ultra.
Not so difficult with the service manual.
I highly suggest you get new seals while you're ordering.
The seals will need a driver to install - a piece of PVC appropriately sized would be the cheapest - I however carefully tapped around the seal until they were seated (20,000 miles no leaks).
Plan on about 6 hours or so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts