V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i replaced my levers on my 01 to chrome levers...I knew that there was a clutch mechanism that is in police models that made you hold the clutch in to start the bike...

once I replaced the levers, I no longer had to do that, and I didn't bypass any wires. (I've never started a bike without holding the clutch in so I don't know if it could do this before or not) Ever since then, I've had a problem with consistant starts, and I was thinking that the clutch lever might be the problem...

this is my question...if I was supposed to cut and connect some wires together, where are they and what color? Hopefully this will solve my problem without taking to the dealer to get it fixed. I've searched other posts about this, but could not get a good understanding of where the wires are that need to be connected together...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice post...FNG!! :2flips:

go to the "My Story, the beginning" forum and introduce yourself, then Maybe I'll reply

:loser:

·
Solamente inglés hablado
562 Posts
I have a 99 FLHPI, and from what I was told when I got the bike...
The Stock levers had a small metal "stud" and ther replacements do not, that little metal do-dad is what makes contact with the switch. I just have to be sure to have the clucth in. I am not sure if they make chrome ones for our bike (with the little metal thing).
John

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
wires

HUM I'm not sure if the colors are different on you ride than on mine but here is what I did. The clutch interlock switch uses two BK/R wires in position 7 & 8 of the 12 wire Deustch connector. I simply cut the two wires coming from the switch and connected them together with a solder-less splice. Actually I've done the same thing to several different year twin cam police models. The wires seemed to be the same BK/R pair on all that I've played with.

If you are having the starter engage at random times then the clutch interlock system is not the culprit. There are a few possible reasons for the starter to engage randomly. My experience is that the start switch is most often the culprit. As the switch get older it seems to hang up internally and the contacts move. Then the starter engages at its own free will.

here is a link on the Deutsch connector assembly and disassembly http://www.battsracing.com/cart/sto...=deutsch_dt_and_dtm_connector_user_guide.html

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found the switch, i think that is my culprit for all of these non-starts...

~!Awesome!

:thanks:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts